GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with the reverse button sticking in? I've sprayed with silicone and it doesn't seem to help much. It doesn't seem like the button is "stiff", just sometimes when pressed in, it takes a long time of flipping, clicking, wiggling, etc to get the button to come out. Especially when sitting in a parking lot somewhere and can't move the bike.

Is there any type of bypass or quick-fix that can be done to get the bike out of "locked" condition?

This is on an '02 with 65K miles.

Ken H>

·
Registered
195 Posts
sticking reverse switch

Fred Harmon shows how to take the switch apart and lubricate it on his web site. I had the same thing happen to me in Nashville monday night, i was up a creek for about 15 minutes until the switch came unstuck. That almost ruined my night, we were 300 miles from the house. I am home now and am fixing to take the sucker apart and fix it. mdh

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
To fix it properly, you really need to take it apart and clean it and reassemble with silicone grease. The spray trick may work as a temporary fix, but the problem will usually return.

The big problem with the reverse button sticking, is that when it sticks in, you can't move the bike till you fix it. I have a buddy that tried to turn around on a narrow country road, and used his reverse and the button stuck in leaving him stuck sideways in the middle of the road with a truck coming over the hill. Not a good feeling. Better to take the time to fix it right than just give it a spray and hope for the best, cause it will stick again at the worst possible moment (Murphy lives).

It also is more common for it to stick in cold weather when the grease in it is cold or if it has gotten moisture in it that has frozen overnight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
stuck reverse switch

After taking the switch apart ,cleaning it and regreasing it, i can see that the construction of the switch could also be part of the problem. Why did honda not just put a simple toggle switch there instead of the push one. my cruse switch went out at the same time it is still stuck,didn't try to get to it, the reverse switch is working ok now. thanks for the pictures fred.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Reverse switch

I wouldn't know about my reverse switch, it's never been used in 11K miles. I bet I only used reverse on my 1500 a hand full of times in 65K miles. I just pay attention to the way I park. Maybe just a hold over from the 1200 and other bikes I've owned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts