GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back today from my 1st long ride on my new 19 tour manual. Rode a little under 2,000 miles this past week. During the trip the 4 or 5 times I used reverse it didn't engage fully and made a (gears not engaging noise) I would then take it out of reverse then put it back in and it would work, but sometimes it took 2 or 3 tries of in and out of reverse for it to work n fully engage and back the bike up...Is there a trick to help it engage like rocking the bike back n forth or putting bike in and out of gear? Or is it a adjustment problem for the shop to handle?
Other than this issue the bike ran and handled Awesome...I love my wing 馃榿

Registered
It's a cable adjustment.

Sent from my G9 PRO using Tapatalk

Registered
It's a cable adjustment.

Can you elaborate? I'm curious about this as well.

Registered
WARRANTY

Registered
Just got back today from my 1st long ride on my new 19 tour manual. Rode a little under 2,000 miles this past week. During the trip the 4 or 5 times I used reverse it didn't engage fully and made a (gears not engaging noise) I would then take it out of reverse then put it back in and it would work, but sometimes it took 2 or 3 tries of in and out of reverse for it to work n fully engage and back the bike up...Is there a trick to help it engage like rocking the bike back n forth or putting bike in and out of gear? Or is it a adjustment problem for the shop to handle?
Other than this issue the bike ran and handled Awesome...I love my wing 馃榿
I've always had the same problem, BUT with my 2018 DCT Tour, sometimes smooth engagement, other times a subdued gear clash. I'm pretty sure I've read that the DCT models engage reverse, hydraulically through the transmission. I try to select reverse only once the bike's idle speed has stabilized (bike warmed up), but it appears to make no difference. Any DCT owners want to comment on your their experience with engaging reverse?

Registered
It's a cable adjustment.

Same thing on my 2018. It's a cable adjustment. Dealer did it. It was denied as warranty claim as a "wear" item. Cost 125 but cleared up the problem completely.

Registered
Same thing on my 2018. It's a cable adjustment. Dealer did it. It was denied as warranty claim as a "wear" item. Cost 125 but cleared up the problem completely.

Yea but Honda didn't adjust the cable correctly from the factory..my bike has had this issue from time to time from month 1...at least its a easy fix once you take the plastic off while doing other maintenance.

Registered
Manufacturing defects covered, wear items not; that does not leave much wiggle room, does it. Extended warranty is weaker yet.

ps=rs

Registered
I try to select reverse only once the bike's idle speed has stabilized (bike warmed up), but it appears to make no difference. Any DCT owners want to comment on your their experience with engaging reverse?
You should be able to immediately go into reverse mode as soon as you start the bike with no issues. This is how I park mine and without reverse mode, I would have a heck of a time getting it out of the chock. I start the bike and put it right into reverse and back it off of the lift. I then shut it down while I get dressed and get carplay going. It鈥檚 also just my luck that the valve stems always seem to be in the wrong spot so I need to move it a bit to check tire pressure.

Registered
I adjusted my 2018 tour MT6 reverse cable myself in about 10 minutes. I can't imagine a dealer charging $125 to do that.

Registered
I adjusted my 2018 tour MT6 reverse cable myself in about 10 minutes. I can't imagine a dealer charging $125 to do that.
How, the proper adjustment is under the left plastic. Now, I did temp fix mine with a cable tie on the right side where it connects to the motor. Then did the real adjustment when I next needed to change an air filter.

Registered
How, the proper adjustment is under the left plastic. Now, I did temp fix mine with a cable tie on the right side where it connects to the motor. Then did the real adjustment when I next needed to change an air filter.
When you are sitting on the bike, just in front of your left knee is a black square panel on the lower fairing. Just pry that off and the cable adjustments are right there. One for the neutral cable and one for the reverse cable. I used a plastic putty knife to get it off. It just snaps into place.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering what was under that panel, thanks jstrenn...I will check it out after giving her a needed bath today..

Registered
I was wondering what was under that panel, thanks jstrenn...I will check it out after giving her a needed bath today..
You also need to remove the transmission cover, which is the black plastic cover down by your right foot. Two allen head screws holding it on. There you will find the two cables that hook to a pulley on the transmission. The neutral cable (inboard cable) should have 0.0 mm clearance when lifting up on the cable. And the reverse cable (outboard cable) should have a clearance of 0.3 to 0.8 mm. Both measured when the bike is in neutral.

Registered
Reverse mode on the M6 is different from the 'Walking mode' on DCT.
Reverese mode doesn't mention applying brake to get it to engage
(but it does seem like a good idea, if sitting in neutral on a slope that requires use of reverse...)

Here are both, for comparison.

Reverse mode: (M6 transmission)

!aSit astride the motorcycle, in your normal riding position, with both feet on the ground.
!bMake sure the transmission is in neutral ( indicator comes on) and the side stand is up.
!cStart the engine. (P110)
!dPress the Reverse mode switch to turn on the reverse mode.
- If the engine is not running, the reverse system cannot be activated.
!eWhen you are ready to back up, press and hold the Reverse button.

The motorcycle will move in reverse as long as you hold the button down. (鈥淩鈥 is displayed on the gear position indicator.)

To prevent battery discharge, do not press the Reverse button for more than 1 minute.

!gRelease the Reverse button, and the motorcycle will stop.

!hAfter your motorcycle has stopped, press the Reverse mode switch to turn off the system.

Reverse System Overload

The Reverse mode is designed to move the motorcycle at a constant slow speed.

If the motorcycle begins moving slower or faster than this speed because of obstacles or a steep pavement angle, press the Reverse mode switch to turn off the system and carefully roll the motorcycle to a more level, unobstructed surface, and then start again.

Wlking Speed Mode (DCT 7 transmission)

!aSit astride the motorcycle, in your normal riding position, with both feet on the ground.
!bMake sure the transmission is in neutral ( indicator comes on) and the side stand is up.
!cStart the engine. (P110)
!dPress the Walking Speed mode switch while applying the brake lever or pedal.
The Walking Speed mode indicator is displayed.

eTo move the motorcycle backward, press and hold the shift down switch (-), and then release the brakes.
To move the motorcycle forward, press and hold the shift up switch (+), and then release the brakes.
uThe motorcycle will move forward/ backward as long as you hold the switch down.
uWhen the shift up switch (+) (forward) is pressed, 鈥淔鈥 is displayed on the gear position indicator.
When the shift down switch (-) (backward) is pressed, 鈥淩鈥 is displayed on the gear position indicator.

uIt may take a few seconds before the motorcycle starts to move.

uWhen operating the motorcycle in Walking Speed mode, be sure to sit on the motorcycle in your normal riding position.
uWhen the engine is stopped in Walking Speed mode, the clutch will disengage. This will cause the motorcycle to abruptly lose traction.

uWhile in Walking Speed mode, do not press the engine stop switch except in an emergency. This will cause the motorcycle to abruptly lose traction.

!fTo stop the motorcycle, apply the brake lever or pedal.

!gTo end Walking Speed mode, apply the brake lever or pedal.
After the motorcycle has stopped, press the Walking Speed mode switch while operating the brake lever or pedal, or press the N switch. Make sure the Walking Speed mode indicator turns off and the indicator comes on.

Registered
You should be able to immediately go into reverse mode as soon as you start the bike with no issues. This is how I park mine and without reverse mode, I would have a heck of a time getting it out of the chock. I start the bike and put it right into reverse and back it off of the lift. I then shut it down while I get dressed and get carplay going. It鈥檚 also just my luck that the valve stems always seem to be in the wrong spot so I need to move it a bit to check tire pressure.
To clarify, I'm always able to engage reverse mode; HOWEVER, about half the time I feel / hear a gear clash. Thanks for your input!

Registered
You also need to remove the transmission cover, which is the black plastic cover down by your right foot. Two allen head screws holding it on. There you will find the two cables that hook to a pulley on the transmission. The neutral cable (inboard cable) should have 0.0 mm clearance when lifting up on the cable. And the reverse cable (outboard cable) should have a clearance of 0.3 to 0.8 mm. Both measured when the bike is in neutral.

View attachment 372632
I need to adjust my reverse cables..thanks for your tip...but Im a bit confused..do you have to adjust the cable at both places..both under plastic fairing cover and down under the transmission cover?

Registered
Reverse mode on the M6 is different from the 'Walking mode' on DCT.
Reverese mode doesn't mention applying brake to get it to engage
(but it does seem like a good idea, if sitting in neutral on a slope that requires use of reverse...)
Thanks for clearing that up. The OP did mention theirs was a manual, but sometimes I forget there can be two distinct operating instructions.

Registered
I need to adjust my reverse cables..thanks for your tip...but Im a bit confused..do you have to adjust the cable at both places..both under plastic fairing cover and down under the transmission cover?
Someone shared this a while back. It is in Spanish, but the visual will help you out. The visual part starts around 2:55.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts