GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I had to remove the two rod trunk strikers. Part 81328-mca780. These are the 2 u shape metal attachment that are attached to the rear trunk cover. When the lid is pulled down they let the lock mechanism latch onto them. I was getting intermittent open trunk indication. I found that the plastic bosses that the trunk latch screw into we're cracked. Instead of buying a new trunk lid (very expensive) I have found a fix. A I am going to but a kuryakin trunk lid handle onto the trunk. This will take the place of the cracked bosses for the latches to be screwed into. I am waiting for delivery of the handle.
Well without the trunk striker installed (yet) I have a constant open trunk indication. I took the bike around the block. When I returned and put the bike into reverse I got a flashing yellow reverse light and no reverse. My question is. Does the reverse not work because of the open trunk indication? Or has something else gone wrong with the reverse? I guess ill get my answer in 5 to 10 days after I get my trunk handle and trunk striker installed. I just don't want to worry about the reverse being caput. Oh almost forgot. 2002 gl.
Thanks for your opinions.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,604 Posts
Before you adjust them, check to see if the reverse actuator is moving the cables to the reverse position. If it’s not moving them, then the issue could be a relay or an issue with the actuator itself.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
... or the micro switch inside the reverse actuator has come loose. It's only held in place by two tiny plastic pins that get brittle and break with age.

This is a picture of the inside of the reverse actuator, and that blue micro switch is held in place with two black pins which happen to be sheared off underneath the switch, allowing it to move in and out of position, causing a flashing R light and the bike to be locked up (rear wheel not turning).

You can tug on the wires and watch the switch move fore and aft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts