GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 3 days in heavy rain day 4 and 5 were rain free... Reverse light comes on (at first it was dim) and remains on... Bike rides normal... If I engage the reverse switch and then release the light goes out (normal)... But after driving just a short distance it will come back on... On day 5 it seems to be lit almost to full brightness (as though it were engaged in reverse)...
Anyone have experience with this condition.?? Any ideas were to start the trouble-shooting process (i do have the factory manuals)...

·
Vendor
18,447 Posts
It sounds like the switch need to be dried out. One way to do that is head south to hot, sunny weather.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reverse light

Don't know what did it but my 2008 did the same thing. It has been raining all day and my bike was under a half cover at work. By the time I left work the rain had just about stoped. As I slowed down for a left hand turn my reverse light came on. I had to stop, Place the bike in neutral, and engage the reverse then take it out of reverse before the light would go out.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
Ed, I see your's is a 06. What levels are these 2 bikes? The wiring is different based on option levels, therefore, the possible places that water can get to a connector is also different.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ed,

I can only speak for my 03 here, but I think they are all the same...

If you take off the right (oil fill side) engine cover, there is a black boot covering a threaded brass stud with a wire or 2 bolted on to it with a nut. It is kind of right in the center on the engine block. This has something to do with reverse, and if it gets wet you have odd behaviors from your reverse system slip the boot up and dry it out, or even take the wires off & make sure everything is clean & dry.. contact cleaner, and contact protectant might help, and maybe some dielectric grease on it when you re assemble.
Be real careful, I understand it's easy to over torque nut, and break the stud. You are then officially in deep doo-doo..

=Dave=

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay in responding... Thanks much for the advice and will check... The bike is the audio (level 1) setup... I have not riden the bike since sunday, so if it's a water issue it will likely have cleared itself by now... Should that be the case then a good cleaning and spraying will be in order...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts