GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently mounted a BT-45 rear tire on the front. We installed it with the original rotation.
My question is why do some install them in reverse rotation?

schiel1 on My Samsung 3

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Some say it used to have to do with the belts in the tire were laid in the carcass, some say better braking,:shrug: I ran mine the direction it was supposed to go for the water dispersion. I got 33,000 out of it with tread left. YMMV

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
The belt theory is old school thinking and no longer applies . The water distribution is debatable also .
The right direction is a absolutely fine :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Agree with Sir Rail - I've posted long discussions in the past, too lazy today. Short answer is like Rail said, and the water dispersion regarding rotation only kicks in a high speeds. Mine's mounted forward rotation, but don't sweat it. Some people have reported a difference in road noise and tire buzzing with reverse mounting, but then again some have reported it with forward mounting. :shrug:

·
Registered
831 Posts
direction of rotation

The belt theory is old school thinking and no longer applies . The water distribution is debatable also .
The right direction is a absolutely fine :thumbup:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am on my second bt45 and both have been mounted to run the reverse direction, the shop that i buy the tire from and have it installed tell me to do it that way and i don't argue about it....I doubt that it makes any difference but i can tell you that riding in very hard rain, and it works just fine.....

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am on my second bt45 and both have been mounted to run the reverse direction, the shop that i buy the tire from and have it installed tell me to do it that way and i don't argue about it....I doubt that it makes any difference but i can tell you that riding in very hard rain, and it works just fine.....
It makes no difference which way it is mounted honestly . :thumbup:
Well as long as it is not inside out :lol:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't think it matters either way, but in VA it won't pass safety inspection if mounted backwards.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I don't think it matters either way, but in VA it won't pass safety inspection if mounted backwards.
I did not know that about inspections , good info :thumbup:
Glad we do not do any inspections here , well kinda .

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I have worn two out, one in each direction. Third one is running forward rotation. I got a bit better wear pattern forward. But still could have flipped a coin on which way to go. She works fine either way IMHO.

Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
My mechanic told me the tradition of mounting bt45 tire backwards when on the front of a goldwing probably came from sport bike riders.
He said some sport bikes use the same tire front and rear and when they are mounted they always run the front tire backwards....and since we are putting a rear tire on the front, that is probably why it occurred to someone to try.

I wouldn't know. I never owned a sport bike and definitely never owned a bike with front and rear tires the same size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts