GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an ad for a center stand that you use reverse to deploy and you ride off of. Both tires obviously stay in contact with the ground. It is an interesting concept. I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has one of these. Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Power park

I had one on my 1500 and now have one on my 1800 I love it works great.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I wonder how much extra strain it puts on the starter especially with heavier riders and/or passengers. :?: My biggest gripe is having to put something under the stand when I want to get the rear tire off the ground. Since I often check the rear tire for nails and air pressure, clean the dust off the wheel, etc, it gets to be a pain. If you have short legs, it can also be tricky trying to hold pressure on the center stand arm with your left leg and balance with your right leg while the bike is moving in reverse. Concrete sometimes adds more difficulty because the feet on the stand will slide which won't allow it to deploy properly. I have also had my foot slide off the arm allowing the stand to ride up my pant leg and nearly tip me over. :oops:

I haven't tried a taller 70 series tire, but if you are so inclined, a ride off stand might not work at all. Even with a 60 series tire, the stand will allow the bike to rock side to side slightly.

Although I thought a ride off center stand was a great idea at first, mine is more of an inconvenience. I wouldn't buy another one.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
kg5ie said:
I ran across an ad for a center stand that you use reverse to deploy and you ride off of. Both tires obviously stay in contact with the ground. It is an interesting concept. I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has one of these. Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks,
Yeah, it sure makes it easier to get the bike on the stand. Unfortunately, it also makes it easier to knock the bike off the stand accidentally - either you or someone else. The thing is, the centerstand is intended mainly as a maintenance stand. You know - checking tires, oil level, change oil, and R&R parts. When it comes to secure parking, the sidestand is more stable and a lot less likely to let the bike get knocked over. So, there's really no need to put your bike on the centerstand unless you need to have it level for some reason. The Power Park type ride off stand keeps some of the bike's weight on the rear wheel and makes it much easier for the bike to accidentally get knocked off.

Stu

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ride off stand

I have had one ever since I found it too hard to use the OEM stand. Never could get the hang of lifting the bike using it.
I find the same problems with the after market stand. BE CAREFUL. It is nice when cleaning and changing oil, etc, but it is not too stable. Still tough to clean the back wheel. I now just use my jack when I want to put her up high off the back wheel.

I agree, the ride on is almost impossible to learn and can be dangerous. Personally, I lift mine on at gas stations, etc. I also lift it on at home in the garage. I would not get on on my next wing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have one on my 2001 GW and love it. If I need a litle more height a 1x6 board works fine. Also trying to get it up on the stand in reverse is a trick. I just lift it up it's much easier. I don't know if it puts too much strain on the starter motor putting it up. I did once use the reverse to back up over a curb and as long I straddled the bike it was OK. If I sat on the seat it couldn't lift me and the bike. Hope this helps>

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I don't ride on/ride off my stock center stand but can use reverse to put the bike up on the stand since I run a 70 series tire in the rear. That's all the help I need. I've never tried using any power to get the bike off the stand. I prefer to mount and dismount with the side stand down rather than with it on the center stand, anyhow.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mine works great ...... even with a 70 rear tire - if I bought another bike I'd add it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts