GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Goldwing/Hannigan Trike. Every now and then when I try to use reverse, I get a grinding sound, like the gears are not meshing. I am guessing that I might need a new starter. The bike starts OK with no grinding sound. This only happens when I am in reverse and it doesn't happen every time. Can anyone advise me of what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts

·
Vendor
17,405 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate this. Before I tackle the cable I will try the dry lub.
They are not to be dry lubed (see Service Manual for further info). For clarity on the symptom, I'm assuming the bike is running, been put in N, the reverse on/off button is in the on position, and the noise happens when hitting the start button and trying to back up ... is that correct ??? Could the noise be called a chatter ??? If so, the reverse cables need adjusting and that inspection is part of a 8 and 16,000 mile service. How many miles on this trike ???

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
michbiker1: Greg gives a lot of good advice, but in this case I'd go with trying the spray lube first, every once and a while mine will act up a bit, I use to spray it with WD-40 (flame suit on), then I started using a dry spray lube and it works great.

Sorry Greg, adjustments may be needed but I'd start out simple first.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
I would cycle the reverse system in and out of reverse a couple of times and then do a visual inspection of the lost motion plate, reverse shift arm, and the gap that should be there when it's in reverse. I would then lube it with some cable lube and cycle it a couple times again and then re-evaluate the gap to see if it needs adjusted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts