GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Goldwings. I just bought a 2007 ABS. I was trying to figure out how reverse worked one evening
while putting it in the garage. Went out early the next morning, started the bike, put it in gear, and moved the
bike out of the garage. Outside I noticed that the reverse button was still engaged. Reading the manual it looks
like I shouldn't have been able to start the engine. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Been there, done that!

When I first got my bike, I also accidentally left the reverse button pushed in...I saw the "R" light on the dash, but, I guess because this is the first bike I ever had with a reverse, couldn't seem to put it all together at first.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It appears the reverse button is not functioning the switch inside it... Otherwise you should not be able to start the bike or put it into any forward gear... Ya might try to contact the previous owner on this issue to see if there is a history to go with it... If none is found then you might well need to take apart the right side handlebar cluster to spray some plastic friendly contact cleaner into the switch contacts... One of your first expenditures really ought to be a good service manual (if you intend to do your own repairs)... Do put out the $ to get a good one (OEM is preferred)... You might even consider getting Fred's video's too...

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=9876&str=4

Both will pay for themselves easily on your first repair that you did not need to go to the dealer for...

:doorag::doorag::doorag:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Welcome to the board and Congrats on the wing. Does reverse work correctly with the switch? If so, then you may have hit it by accident after you started the bike. The button on the outside is part of the internal switch, which is actually 2 switches in one and unless someone did some rewiring of the system it's not possible to have it pushed in and start the bike.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In addition, if the bike was left in reverse, you wouldn't be able to manually move it either.....it locks the rear wheel. Some owners use that ability as a form of theft protection or parking brake.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would suspect you accidentally hit the switch after you started backing the bike out. Make if you put the bike in neutral, and hit the reverse button, the reverse button should light up. You can't roll the bike at this point. Even with the clutch in.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
OK, just to set things straight, don't want to confuse a new winger. The reverse system doesn't really lock the rear wheel, it directly connects it to the starter through a bunch of gears that effectively keeps it from moving unless the starter does the moving. The gear ratios cause this apparent "locking". When the reverse system is engaged there's an arm that moves and locks the shift drum in the neutral position in the transmission to keep you from putting it into gear and it removes a ground from the circuit that the "B" starter relay needs to energize, this is why you can't start it if you park it in reverse. If your reverse switch is accidently pushed while riding in gear, then it will flash the "R" light on the dash and no harm will come to the system. If you accidently push it and the engine is running and you are in neutral, then it will engage the reverse system and turn the dash light on solid when it's ready to back up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Yes, I found out the hard way the other day that the bike won't start if the R button is engaged. I've ridden over 200,000 smiles on 2 different 1800 Wings and have never used reverse, thus never became too knowledgeable on the workings of the system. Last week I went for a ride and stopped for lunch and when I left the restaurant the bike wouldn't start or move. After a couple of cuss words I noticed that somebody must have been playing with the buttons as the kill switch was in the off position and the R button had been engaged. After pushing and wiggling on the R switch for about 15 min. it finally popped out & I was able to start the bike and continue on my ride. The next day I cleaned the switch with some contact cleaner and all is OK for the time being. I could almost picture a couple of smart azz kids hiding and watching me try to start my bike. :evil:

·
IronMan
17,531 Posts
PROBABLY JUST YOUR FREINDS LOL :roll::roll:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
If you need to clean/spray your switches there, it really does not do much good unless you drop down the lower half of the switch housing. As you can see, the actual "meat" of a switch is not close to the buttons. Two recessed screws under the housing and you can get to the parts that need cleaned.

>CLICK<

1800buttonhousing.jpg

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Waldo may correct me, but NO, the reverse switch can be sprayed without removing cruise switch. I think his diagram was originally to show how to get acccess to the starter switch which is a real dirt and grime deposit.

prs

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Waldo may correct me, but NO, the reverse switch can be sprayed without removing cruise switch. I think his diagram was originally to show how to get access to the starter switch which is a real dirt and grime deposit.

prs
I would say that you are correct, but if we're wrong I'm sure Waldo will chime in. I just cleaned my R switch without removing the cruise switch.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts