GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 3 or 4 occasions when I put the bike in reverse and hit my start button there is a ratcheting type grind and the bike doesn't move it's as if the gears were slipping. I saw a GL1800 at the dealer being torn into pieces to replace a small part that supposedly was causing this issue. My bike still has warranty until 2012 just hate to see it torn into many pieces but do not want to pay for this repair.
When this happened I took it out of reverse and started over then the bike moved as normal.

·
Registered
526 Posts
mine does this sometimes, just disenguage reverse and do it again.
You can adjust the linkage for reverse if it happens often

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
Keep in mind, reverse is not a gear like the rest of the transmission and it has no synchronization to line up the teeth. When I put mine into reverse, I standup and let the bike move a little front to back to let things line up. Mine has never failed to go in the first time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Keep in mind, reverse is not a gear like the rest of the transmission and it has no synchronization to line up the teeth. When I put mine into reverse, I standup and let the bike move a little front to back to let things line up. Mine has never failed to go in the first time. :thumbup:
:agree:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Remove the right side chrome engine cover. Spray the reverse linkage with WD40. The cables are either hanging up a little or they need adjusting.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Remove the right side chrome engine cover. Spray the reverse linkage with WD40. The cables are either hanging up a little or they need adjusting.
yup mine used to do the same thing, adjusting the cables didn't help but spray lube cured the problem, i use Tri Flow, not cheap but its about the best spray lube out there
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri-Flow_Superior_Aerosol_Lubricant.html
when u remove the right side chrome cover u can watch the reverse mechanism work as u put it in and out of reverse, spray the area with the spring and i bet your problem will go away, i usually spray a little tri flow on there at oil change time and the problem has never come back :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts