GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody one. Sorry but back to a reversing starter problem whilst away on a club weekend one of our members Trike’s failed to start off the button would start with a push but then no reverse. Upon checking solenoids b solenoid was not getting signal power upon pushing start button anyway I bypassed b solenoid to a solenoid so as to bc able to start bike. Got it to my workshop and checked reverse regulator all but one diode was not showing any reading so got a good reg and changed it. Upon replacing it and then connecting battery back up it has blown all diodes again. Now this is expensive. So I put old regulator back on so as to be able to start bike and all solenoids in correct wiring sequence and it started bike and it now works in reverse mode. But still all but one diodes are not showing any ohms. Why would it start and reverse work with this scenario any help please

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Can't help much, except diodes short, they don't fail to read ohms when they go bad. This is not 100%, but for all but the most infrequent failures the case. You may not be correctly diagnosing. No way in this world multiple diodes would not read ohms. Of course you need to be in diode check mode and not just ohms to check a diode with a meter, and meters have been known to give false readings (chinese cheap meters) most use.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Hi everybody one. Sorry but back to a reversing starter problem whilst away on a club weekend one of our members Trike’s failed to start off the button would start with a push but then no reverse. Upon checking solenoids b solenoid was not getting signal power upon pushing start button anyway I bypassed b solenoid to a solenoid so as to bc able to start bike. Got it to my workshop and checked reverse regulator all but one diode was not showing any reading so got a good reg and changed it. Upon replacing it and then connecting battery back up it has blown all diodes again. Now this is expensive. So I put old regulator back on so as to be able to start bike and all solenoids in correct wiring sequence and it started bike and it now works in reverse mode. But still all but one diodes are not showing any ohms. Why would it start and reverse work with this scenario any help please
Which diode reads wrong, what are it’s pin numbers and what year is the trike?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All but diodes except 10 which has reading of around 800 all others have no reading. It’s a 2007 airbag model.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Fluke. I appreciate what you are telling me I have checked these before with my digital meter I have had it a while now. Not a Chinese make. As I said I got a new regulator and checked all diodes on it before putting it on the bike all reading as should. But all failed when putting battery on. And turning on bike ignition to start bike took it off checked all failed put old one back on and bike started and reverses. But all but one diode are giving no readings diode 10 gives reading of 840 ohms this is what I can’t understand why are all diodes going they don’t just go all together???

·
Registered
498 Posts
From what I have seen on my wiring diagrams D10 has nothing to do with the "reverse" and has everything to do with the cruise control. D9 senses the OD on the GP sensor and D10 senses the 4th gear input, this allows the cruise control to be set only in 4th and OD position.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It sounds fishy to me. Are you checking the diodes with the reverse regulator off the bike? You should.
Remember the negative lead on your meter has positive polarity so when checking forward conduction using the resistance mode on your meter (rather than the diode function) you must apply the meter probes to conduct through the diode black to red. I'd expect a few hundred ohms forward biased and very high (meg ohms) reverse biased. Possibly appearing infinite on your meter.

Diodes are pretty sturdy devices so to have them all fail together seems unlikely. But never say never...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi terry yes your right. So why is it that the bike is still starting and reverses. When all other diodes are dud what am I missing apart from my mind

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi JW. As I said all diodes on new reg checked out correct until i installed it on bike and it didn’t start bike so I removed it checked all diodes again and got no readings. That’s when I put old reg back on which only has reading on diode 10. But starts and reverses bike. Don’t see there is any other way to check regulator than unplugged and off bike

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Fred h if you go to restart reverse section and look at the regulator checking procedures it shows the diode distribution on one of the pages aswell as the pin checking sequence

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm confused. I don't see a D10 on the wire diagram. This is from the 08 manual.
Fred, D10 shows up on the PGM-FI/Fuel System wiring diagram page 26-9 in my manual.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Hi Fred h if you go to restart reverse section and look at the regulator checking procedures it shows the diode distribution on one of the pages aswell as the pin checking sequence
Are you trying the diodes with your meter leads both polarities? They should read open reversed and around 400-700 ohms forward polarity. These diodes are only signal steering diodes, if they open you will have lost signal through them and stuff won’t work. If they short, then you get the wanted signal through them, but they fail to block unwanted signals. This condition will give you weird crossed up functions of the starting, reverse, or the cruise control system. D10 only passes the fourth gear ground to the cruise control unit so it “knows” the bike is in fourth gear. The thing that has me puzzled is, D10 is not in the reverse regulator assembly, it’s part of a 3 pin diode that is separate from the reverse regulator assembly on an 06-08 model wing.

Are you using the correct manual for this model year. There’s no D10 in the 06-08 reverse regulator. There is a D10 in the 01-05 model year regulator. These two regulators are not interchangeable. Honda changed this as well as lots of wiring on the 06 and up bikes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi rob yes there seems to be the problem I didn’t check the yr of manual working off 2001-2006 manual. And also the part supplied by owner not correct one. Do you have any work shop images on the 2007 model regulator problem searching and checking. Would be much appreciated seem you put your finger on the buttons yet again can not fault you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts