GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the problem with reverse disengaging while backing up if on a slight downhill ? Just waiting does not go back into gear. Must reset button. It only has done it twice during cold weather (28 deg.). This is an 03 GL1800A. Any ideas or same trouble with other members, or is this even anything to be concerned about? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Yes, there is some kind of limiting device in the reverse system that can come into play when backing uphill, but I can't remember the details right now.

Possibly what you are experiencing is normal, but I don't know since it hasn't happened to me (yet).

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My bike .... 2002 ... stops reverse when I try to back out of the barn ... I back down two 3" steps about two feet apart. I think it's normal and Honda has built in a sensor to stop the bike when it tries to go too fast, as when it momentarily backs up quickly coasting down the 3" step. ... I'm guessing :roll:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is when backing down a small ramp about three feet long.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I only use my reverse for uphill backing when I am unable to move this heavy monster. I think the exercise is good for my legs. It is kind of like using the stairs instead of the escalator. Am I missing something here??? :? :? Please help me to understand why using the reverse function is needed when backing up on a downslope. :oops:

Please note that my questions are NOT intended to be tongue in cheek or sarcastic.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep the wing in a small shop with a short ramp. I use reverse as at the bottom of the ramp is a stone walkway and it is hard to backup by hand. It sounds like maybe it setup to cut out if the speed is too great in reverse. I think that it's a Honda thing. Thanks for the reply Todd, and I didnot feel that your question was ment to be sarcarstic, I needed to explain myself better. Thanks again to all. Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
wingnut1,

I have the same issue with my 04. It's a safety feature so you don't go too fast and burn up the motor. I have a slight decline coming out of my barn. If I depress and release the reverse button I can go all the way out. SOmetimes I have to break to slow the action down. There isn't a problem it's just the way the mechanism is designed to work.

FF

·
Registered
484 Posts
Backing up with sand rocks ice whatever so your footing is crappy is an excellent way to dump the bike over. One slip of your footing and timber there she goes. Go spend 10 or 20 bucks and put a wide strip of indoor/outdoor or marine carpet down over those rocks. It will help with your slippery footing situation and then you may be able to back the bike down the ramp without using the electric reverse. Electric reverse and slippery footing. Bad combination.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yep, like some others have said its perfectly normal as the reverse speed limiter kicks in.

Mine will often cut out if I use reverse to back out of the garage. It will stop as the back wheel drops off the 3/4" step from the garage floor to the driveway.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Looks like we're all agreeing on this one folks ... AMAZING !!!

BTW ... I push my bike back out of the barn (concrete floor) down the two three inch steps with my feet ... then engage electric reverse when I'm in the soft sod and can't push her back anymore with my boots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts