GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I engaged the reverse when I parked the bike to make it hard for someone to roll it away. Now the reverse won't disengage. The reverse button comes out and the neutral light comes on, but after a few seconds, the reverse light starts flashing. The reverse stays engage so I can't roll the bike anywhere - even onto a trailer to tow it home.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

· Registered
8,027 Posts
Warm up the switch with a hare drier if you can, and spray some contact cleaner in it also, but if you cant get a drier to it, i used WD-40 to get it loose for the time, and now don't use it wen it is cold out :eek:4:

· Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I parked mine on a driveway slope last night with reverse engaged and experianced similar trouble.

I ended up switching the key off and on while pushing uphill on the bike (to unload the driveline torque). It would have been nice to have an extra hand about that time.

When the light was flashing, I had to re-engage the reverse to get it out.

My experiance was torque lock.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reverse stuck on - more info

The switch is good. With the ignition switch off, I push the reverse switch in and turn the ignition on. The reverse light comes on and the actuatur pully turns to the counterclockwise position. When I turn the reverse switch off (release it to the out position), the neutral light comes on, the actuator pully turns to the clockwise position, and the reverse light starts blinking. The bike won't roll so I know the revese is still locked in. When I hit the starter button, at least one starter relay activates with a loud click.

Also, at all times, the headlights are off.

I'm going to look for broken or seriously mis-adjusted cables next.

Any ideas?

· Registered
1 Posts
Reverse button stuck on

I engaged the reverse when I parked the bike to make it hard for someone to roll it away. Now the reverse won't disengage. The reverse button comes out and the neutral light comes on, but after a few seconds, the reverse light starts flashing. The reverse stays engage so I can't roll the bike anywhere - even onto a trailer to tow it home.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
I've just encountered a similar experience with my 1800 parked in my garage. Several days ago I wanted to do a battery test, so I uncovered the bike and accidently hit the reverse button instead of the starter. The reverse button was stuck in the on position no matter what I tried. After looking at all the suggestions/options on the forum, I was sure that I did not want to disassemble the swittch (even inside a daggy).
What I found to be a great solution (without taking anything appart) was: Uas a n electronic cleaner(CRV at NAPA) spraying all around the edges. Try to dissengage the button. Then repeat the same procedure with a Cleaner & Lubricant (from Radio Shack). I repeated this twice, everything works great now!!! Nothing had to be disassembled!!!!!
Hope this might help someone else!!!
GWRRA member # 081309 Lander, WY

· Registered
6,009 Posts
The switch is good. With the ignition switch off, I push the reverse switch in and turn the ignition on. The reverse light comes on and the actuatur pully turns to the counterclockwise position. When I turn the reverse switch off (release it to the out position), the neutral light comes on, the actuator pully turns to the clockwise position, and the reverse light starts blinking. The bike won't roll so I know the revese is still locked in. When I hit the starter button, at least one starter relay activates with a loud click.

Also, at all times, the headlights are off.

I'm going to look for broken or seriously mis-adjusted cables next.

Any ideas?
Tom, don't over think it, your switch is just stuck probably, spray that cleaner stuff in it and I will bet you a dollar to a donut it will work.

· Registered
17,879 Posts
Tom's explanation seems more consistent with pressure lock of the mechanism than it does of the switch. Sit on the bike and rock it back and forth against the reverse gear and hit the button as it flashes. If you can get some Kroil or even WD-40 to spray/clean the springs and through bolt down on the right side under the chrome side cover, that may help free it. When my switch stuck, there was no neutral light or flashing R signal; it just did not respond. Good luck.

prs

· Registered
347 Posts
Well I hope Tom got it to rolling by now as it was 5 years ago it got stuck. :lol:
Certainly pays to look at the date of the first post on some of these threads doesn't it? :doorag:

Beagle

· Registered
19,161 Posts
[h=2]Reverse stuck on[/h]

That's why I don't use it! Plus it's to stinking slow anyway.

· Registered
5,259 Posts

· Registered
17,879 Posts
I always fail to notice when people dig-up these old turds. Why do they do that?

prs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.