GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reverse switch is not engaging, I have the extended Honda warranty on my 2008.

Does anyone know if this would be repaired under warranty, say replace the right hand controls?

I searched the forum and found the info to repair/maintain but if I could get a new control that would be best. And save me a lot of work / aggravation.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It really is not that much work and hassle to clean and lube the back of the switches. I do this maintenance periodically just before I head out for a long trip.

I think it would be more of a hassle to set up an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. Then bring it back to the dealer to have the cluster replaced.

I clean them with contact cleaner and then spray them with Tri-flo, which has Teflon mixed in with the lube. Tri-flo can be found at bicycle shops.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Well, it should be warranty. Let us know.

prs

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
clarify

I'm not clear on what you mean by "not engaging". Do you mean that the button won't stay "in" or do you mean that the button stays in, but the reverse light doesn't come on? If the button won't stay in, cleaning won't fix it and if the button works but you don't get reverse, you probably need to adjust the cables under the right side panel.

Richard

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Had both sides replaced on my 2004 under extended warranty. Get them changed. Why clean them just to have them act up again later.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Had both sides replaced on my 2004 under extended warranty. Get them changed. Why clean them just to have them act up again later.
Question: Have they recently changed something, so the replacement will not need cleaning/lubing?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Question: Have they recently changed something, so the replacement will not need cleaning/lubing?
Possibly, but since they are under warranty, the new ones will give you more years of service than cleaning. One thing I learned from my service tech is to keep soap and water out of the switches. I cover mine with a baggie when I wash it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts