GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the threads where advice was given to spray a stuck "reverse" switch (or "cruise switch") with silicone in the hope of unsticking it.

got me thinking ... that's usually expensive.

Question:
Would it do any good to spray silicon (or anything better?) into these switches BEFORE any problem manifests?
... as in preventative maintainence?

or ...
would that just gum things up and cause them to fail sooner?

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dennis,

I've had 30+ years experiance in the electronics field. And, based on that experiance, I would recommend staying away from anything that will leave a film which will attract dust and grime. Once you start, you have to keep at it to prevent the dust from building up and binding the button.

If you are going to open up the switch and lubricate the contacts, I would recommend silicon dielectric grease on the contacts. If you are cleaning the plastic button on the switch pod, I would go with a residue-free contact cleaner. The ones that are residue-free will say so on the can. You can usually pick this up at you local electronics or hardware store.

And, as with all solvents around plastic, test it before you douse it. Put a little cleaner on a rag and rub it against the plastic. If the plastic doesn't get shinny and the rag stays the color of the rag, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
DENNIS
Idont know if this helps but every time i wash my bike i take the shop vac and vac around all the switches while working them. Hope it pulls all the water and dust out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts