GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been some discussion about sticking Reverse buttons. I'm starting to experience this problem.

How do I take the switch housing apart and what can I expect when I split the housing -- any springs, ball bearings going to fly out?

G

·
Hose it down well with some electrical contact cleaner or even a good spray lube like CRC or GUNK spray cleaner/lubricant first. Operate the button while spraying into it to dislodge foreign matter.

Cover your dash and other finish while doing it.

I have never had my switch apart so if you have to do that, I can't help you. My gut feeling is that taking that switch apart could be a can of worms.

Ride safe. Happy Holidays

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Due to the design of the switch, spraying lubricant around the outside of the switch will do little or no good at all as the actual switch is at least an inch behind the housing. You need to get the lube into the switch body and to do that you at least need to take of the two screws on the bottom of the switch housing and separate the two halves so you can shoot the lube INTO the switch itself. I prefer to use liquid silicone spray.

If this doesn't work, you may need to take the switch apart. It can be done but you have to be careful.

Many times you can get the switch to release if you press in, and while it is pushed all the way in, lift up slightly on the button and then release. Gentle heat from a hair dryer on low will also sometimes free a stuck switch. Exercising them regularly also seems to help prevent them from sticking.

I have some photos that you might want to look at here:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred,

Thanks for the info. So far I've been able to get mine to release (twice) but it concerns me that it's sticking. I'm hesitate using reverse until I can address the issue. Do you know if this would be a warranty issue?

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Alabama IronButt said:
Fred,

Thanks for the info. So far I've been able to get mine to release (twice) but it concerns me that it's sticking. I'm hesitate using reverse until I can address the issue. Do you know if this would be a warranty issue?

Thanks,

Terry
I'm having the same problem. My dealer said it's just dirt, Kansas you know. If the switch is broken, yes...a warranty. If it is dirty, no, and they will charge you to clean it.

Follow Freds advice, he'll not stear you wrong. I haven't fixed mine yet but will tackle it when it warmes up a bit.

Fred: Sorry I missed your Christmas party. The weather was lousy here today. The Weather Bureau lied!!! :shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fred I have the same problem with my reverse switch sticking...only it won't come out. I tried your link and it isn't working any longer. Would you be able to repost please?
Mark

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Be careful when you open the switch up. There is a small spring that will fly away. Watch carefully so you can put it back in.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Note also that inside the housing all screws use a #2 phillips even if they look tiny. Heads are soft.

Again: inside the housing all screws use a #2 phillips

1 - 8 of 8 Posts