GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I screwed up the reverse system accidentally on my wife's 2003 GL1800. In short, field cleaned the start/stop switch at a motel when we lost her headlights. Failed to disconnect the battery and apparently the bike was in reverse when shutoff and after cleaning the start/reverse switch the reverse switch was not set to reverse. This caused some major problems getting the bike out of reverse, blowing fuses left and right and proceeding on the trip. So after a lot of investigation when we returned home I found the Reverse Regulator Assembly had two failed diodes in it. Could not find any other failed components.

So what I have now after replacing the reverse regulator assembly is when the reverse switch is placed in reverse the neutral light goes out, a relay clicks and nothing else happens. The reverse light does not come on or blink. The manual seems to expect the reverse light to blink if the reverse shift actuator fails to travel. Or expects the reverse shift actuator to travel and the reverse light not to come on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Larry

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Do you have section 19 of the Service Manual? That has a detailed outline of troubleshooting steps, based on all different conditions including whether or not the R light is on, whether or not the starter motor turns, or the reverse actuator moves, etc.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
I screwed up the reverse system accidentally on my wife's 2003 GL1800. In short, field cleaned the start/stop switch at a motel when we lost her headlights. Failed to disconnect the battery and apparently the bike was in reverse when shutoff and after cleaning the start/reverse switch the reverse switch was not set to reverse. This caused some major problems getting the bike out of reverse, blowing fuses left and right and proceeding on the trip. So after a lot of investigation when we returned home I found the Reverse Regulator Assembly had two failed diodes in it. Could not find any other failed components.

So what I have now after replacing the reverse regulator assembly is when the reverse switch is placed in reverse the neutral light goes out, a relay clicks and nothing else happens. The reverse light does not come on or blink. The manual seems to expect the reverse light to blink if the reverse shift actuator fails to travel. Or expects the reverse shift actuator to travel and the reverse light not to come on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Larry
How are the fuses?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob,

Just to be 100% sure. I just went out and pulled every fuse and tested with a VOM. Also the 100 and 70 show continuity. They all test ok under the cover.

Larry

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do and it also came with an Electrical Troubleshooting manual. Yes I will also go through all the steps again. Seems like the Reverse light should be blinking according to 19-9 in the 2001-2005 manual though. I vaguely remember someone had a problem that the troubleshooting procedures didn't solve.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Rob,

Just to be 100% sure. I just went out and pulled every fuse and tested with a VOM. Also the 100 and 70 show continuity. They all test ok under the cover.

Larry
Ok, you will need to perform the actuator motor test to see if it will run. Before doing that, try turning the pulley counter clock wise to the reverse position with a wrench, make sure the reverse shift switch is out, then turn on the key and see if the actuator returns itself to the neutral position.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ok, you will need to perform the actuator motor test to see if it will run. Before doing that, try turning the pulley counter clock wise to the reverse position with a wrench, make sure the reverse shift switch is out, then turn on the key and see if the actuator returns itself to the neutral position.

What is the best way to lube those cables?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
What is the best way to lube those cables?
Use Triflow at the rear where their exposed at the lost motion plate and cycle it in and out of reverse about 5-10 times. Spray it where they exit their sheaths and it will migrate to the front with use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob,
I do not have the correct size wrench to try to move the actuator manually. So I moved it electrically+ to blue of relay 2 and negative to blue/red of relay 3. Motor moved to reverse position. Reinstalled relay 2 and 3. Turned on key and motor moved back to neutral position. BTW what is the correct size wrench for that nut. I know its bigger than 19 and less than 23. Also smaller than 7/8 and larger than 13/16. If I go buy a new metric wrench I'd like to get the exact size. I appreciate your time helping me. I thought the Cruise/Reverse Control Module was bad. But that proved untrue. I also have another appropriate year Goldwing to exchange parts with if necessary.
Larry

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Rob,
I do not have the correct size wrench to try to move the actuator manually. So I moved it electrically+ to blue of relay 2 and negative to blue/red of relay 3. Motor moved to reverse position. Reinstalled relay 2 and 3. Turned on key and motor moved back to neutral position. BTW what is the correct size wrench for that nut. I know its bigger than 19 and less than 23. Also smaller than 7/8 and larger than 13/16. If I go buy a new metric wrench I'd like to get the exact size. I appreciate your time helping me. I thought the Cruise/Reverse Control Module was bad. But that proved untrue. I also have another appropriate year Goldwing to exchange parts with if necessary.
Larry
I don’t know what the size is either, I use a crescent wrench to turn it. Let me dig around and I’ll come back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t know what the size is either, I use a crescent wrench to turn it. Let me dig around and I’ll come back.
Also if I am looking for pin B6, LT GRN/RED on the 26 pin gray connector to the cruise/reverse control module. Is there a way to identity that pin other than by color of the wire? Actual pin 6 is on the black connector according the pin out in the shop manual picture on page 19-39. This pin designation is from the Reverse System Test B on page 3-122 in the Honda 2001-2005 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. I think the pin designation is from the logic diagrams in the troubleshooting manual. I believe I'm getting the colors wrong is why I thought the module was bad.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Also if I am looking for pin B6, LT GRN/RED on the 26 pin gray connector to the cruise/reverse control module. Is there a way to identity that pin other than by color of the wire? Actual pin 6 is on the black connector according the pin out in the shop manual picture on page 19-39. This pin designation is from the Reverse System Test B on page 3-122 in the Honda 2001-2005 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. I think the pin designation is from the logic diagrams in the troubleshooting manual. I believe I'm getting the colors wrong is why I thought the module was bad.
Ok, there’s only two green/red wires that are in the connector that plugs into the gray connector of the control unit. One of them is from the brake light system and the other is from the gear position switch. The brake system wire will have no voltage on it unless you apply the brakes, turning on the brake lights. The other one will only have voltage on it when the bike is not in neutral. You should probe one of them and see if the brake lights coming on makes voltage appear on it to eliminate it from the other one. The other one, from the test is verifying the ground that comes from the gear position switch when it’s in neutral. This is to keep the system from engaging reverse and damaging the transmission if it’s not in neutral.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Rob,
I think I was rounding the nut with a crescent wrench or going clockwise instead of counter - don't remember for sure in the past. Today I purchased some larger metric wrenches at Harbor Freight. It is a 22mm. So I moved the pulley counter clock wise to the reverse position then turned the key on. Nothing happened. It did not return to the neutral position.

Larry

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Rob,
I think I was rounding the nut with a crescent wrench or going clockwise instead of counter - don't remember for sure in the past. Today I purchased some larger metric wrenches at Harbor Freight. It is a 22mm. So I moved the pulley counter clock wise to the reverse position then turned the key on. Nothing happened. It did not return to the neutral position.

Larry
Ok, did you get a chance to figure out which of the wires was the gear position sensor line for the test? Can you double check fuse #23?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, did you get a chance to figure out which of the wires was the gear position sensor line for the test? Can you double check fuse #23?
Sorry, I screwed up. Forgot to plug the black and grey connectors back into the cruise/reverse control module. So the pulley does return back to the neutral position when the bike is turned after manually turning it to the reverse position. Also the gear position neutral wire did show ground in neutral and nothing in gear. Also the two fuses are still good.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Sorry, I screwed up. Forgot to plug the black and grey connectors back into the cruise/reverse control module. So the pulley does return back to the neutral position when the bike is turned after manually turning it to the reverse position. Also the gear position neutral wire did show ground in neutral and nothing in gear. Also the two fuses are still good.
Ok, we need to check some of the signals coming to the control module. I’m activating a new phone for my wife, give me 30 minutes and I’ll be back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, that took way too long!
Back? I may have found the problem at step 2 checking for power from reverse switch to the module. So is pin A4 actually pin 23 on the black connector. Only yellow/white I could find. If so no 12volts there when the reverse switch is pushed in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts