GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In damp weather (like this week :( ) the reverse won't engage until the bike warms up. I'm doing everything right: bike in neutral, press reverse button, reverse light comes on, press the starter switch... then there's just a click. Repeating the process gives the same results until the bike warms up, then everything is fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
325 Posts
No Ideas here.......... Im stumped, but you bet ill be watching this unfold, hopefully mine will be ok, but, if it fails, Ill be buzzing you trying to pick your brain,.. lol.

Good Luck, and happy riding.

(Perhaps your bike thinks your gonna put her away when you engage the Reverse?????)

·
Registered
274 Posts
As soon as you fire up your bike in damp, cool morning battery does not provide enough amps until a few minutes later.

During this time reverse switch sensor doesn't engage in order to prevent total battery drainage.

Then in a few minutes enough amps gathered by your alternator's charge and reverse enables itself to engage. Of course while that "charging" time your bike warms up too. But it is not related to the warmth of the engine.

Now, what I mentioned above is a total BS! :oops:

I have no idea why that's happening. I was just bored at my office! :roll:

But it sounded good isn't it ? :lol:

Sorry !

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C'mon guys. There's got to be someone out there who's got the answer. The 1800 riders are the smartest bunch of bikers around :idea:. Help me out :bow:.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
could only think there is a loose connector, that allows condensation to ground out the power when wet. Electrical grounding can be created without being a dead short to blow fuses, but enough to drain power.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am betting you have a problem that is refered to in the communications field as a "High-Pot". In other words, you have a loose, dirty, or corroded connection that causes an increased resistance that prevents enough current from flowing until the connection warms up and dries out. The only way to locate it is going to be to check each and every connection related to the reverse circuit. You may get lucky and fix the trouble by simply unplugging connectors and plugging them back in. Don't forget the relays under the seat and the fuses. I always spray the inside of my connectors with WD-40 before re-assembly whenever I do work on my bikes and cars.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Hi Bob

Does the starter run but it feels like the reverse gears are not fully engauged? Not sure but I think the answer to your reverse problem is on page 36 of the April issue of wingworld. I have had the same problem a couple times on the 2001 and the 2002 but never before realized that it has only happened when the bike was cold. Wingworld says the lost motion spring needs to be cleaned and lubed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the starter run but it feels like the reverse gears are not fully engauged?
Nope, I only hear a "click" when I try to engage reverse. Per the other suggestions, I'll go through and check all the electrical connections. Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts