GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum for my specific issue and while others are having similar problems mine is slightly different. The core issue is that reverse works only intermittently. Oddly, it only works when I'm just testing it, but when I REALLY want it, no dice (how does it know??). The symptoms are: after putting the bike in neutral (side stand up) and pressing the reverse button there is a slight pause and then the reverse light blinks and reverse will not activate when the starter button is pushed. The light NEVER blinks while driving nor is my cruise controll giving me any issues (these seem to be commonly reported issues). I have checked the connection on the right side of the engine that is often the cause of reverse not working but it is tight. I also thought it might be the state of my aging battery but recently replaced it with new one and the problem continues. Although this is not ALWAYS the case, it seems to be after driving the bike for a while that it refuses to work. After first starting the bike in the garage I can't remember it not working (although this is not tested often since I push it out manually since it's a flat floor and then our driveway slopes away (like most). Any thoughts or direction to a thread that deals with this issue specifically??

Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me there are cables to adjust for the reverse. If they are not right it might cause problems to reverse. Just one question, does the starter spin when you go in reverse ?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
I've searched the forum for my specific issue and while others are having similar problems mine is slightly different. The core issue is that reverse works only intermittently. Oddly, it only works when I'm just testing it, but when I REALLY want it, no dice (how does it know??). The symptoms are: after putting the bike in neutral (side stand up) and pressing the reverse button there is a slight pause and then the reverse light blinks and reverse will not activate when the starter button is pushed. The light NEVER blinks while driving nor is my cruise controll giving me any issues (these seem to be commonly reported issues). I have checked the connection on the right side of the engine that is often the cause of reverse not working but it is tight. I also thought it might be the state of my aging battery but recently replaced it with new one and the problem continues. Although this is not ALWAYS the case, it seems to be after driving the bike for a while that it refuses to work. After first starting the bike in the garage I can't remember it not working (although this is not tested often since I push it out manually since it's a flat floor and then our driveway slopes away (like most). Any thoughts or direction to a thread that deals with this issue specifically??

Thanks!

Paul
When you push the reverse system button, the control module checks a bunch of stuff and then runs the actuator to move the cables into the reverse position. If it blinks the light and doesn't move the cables, then it's detecting an issue with the relays and switches. Pull off your seat and pull out the 3 relays of the reverse system and plug them back in. Sometimes they will develop a bad connection in the blade connectors in their sockets and the system detects an issue. What year is your bike? If you still have your 04 in your profile, then the relays are the first 3 from the left side of the front rail in the relay bank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The starter does not spin when the starter/reverse button is pressed. I'll check the relay contacts. Hope that's it. That would be a simple fix! The bike is an '04.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
Thanks for the responses. The starter does not spin when the starter/reverse button is pressed. I'll check the relay contacts. Hope that's it. That would be a simple fix! The bike is an '04.
If reseating the relays doesn't do it, then check and adjust the cables.

IN NEUTRAL

IN REVERSE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where are these cables on the bike and how do you gain access to them. Mine will not fully engage and it will slip not allowing e to back up sometimes. If I push the button in and out a couple of times (causing reverse to engage and disengage) it will work most of the time.

Thanks

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,190 Posts
Where are these cables on the bike and how do you gain access to them. Mine will not fully engage and it will slip not allowing e to back up sometimes. If I push the button in and out a couple of times (causing reverse to engage and disengage) it will work most of the time.

Thanks
Do this while the bike is on the center stand. Remove your right side engine cover. G2 is attached to the bracket that holds them to the motor. The adjusting barrel nuts are forward of the bracket. When you have it right, the clearances will be correct and you will see the little gap in the tab and "shelf" like the last picture of mine. If the gap doesn't appear in reverse, then tighten the bottom(reverse) cable just until it lifts off of the "shelf" and then cycle it back to neutral and check the clearance on the bottom cable. You want it tight enough to create the gap but not so tight that it has no clearance in neutral. If it's too tight in neutral, you will be putting unnecessary stress on the actuator at the other end of the cables. While in neutral the top(neutral) cable should have a little tension on it, just enough to remove any looseness without messing up the clearance of the bottom cable. Check the neutral position first.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Life has gotten a little crazy and I haven't even had time to remove the seat to check the relays yet! But I did want to jump back in to thank you for the extra information in case reseating the relays doesn't do it. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts

Thanks
If you look at the picture Techdude posted just below the G2 arrow you can see some coil springs, spray those springs with some lube and I bet your reverse issues will disappear, I had the same issues you described and that fixed mine so now I spray it with a little lube at every oil change :thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No longer an intermittent problem

Well, I'm back! I'll spare you the details of a long hot summer with many complications and not much riding and I'll move on to beautiful riding weather ahead and a lot to do to prepare for it. I finally have removed the seat and reseated the relays. I lubed the springs, adjusted the cables (only in neutral) and checked the fuses. The symptoms are exactly the same only the intermittent issue is now a constant. I am able to hear the relays when the reverse button is pushed in. One clicks as the button is pressed, then there is a half second pause and a second relay clicks, then there is a one and a half second pause, another click and the reverse indicator light starts flashing. (The flashing is not fast like when you pull one of the relays and try to activate the system). If I press the starter switch with the reverse switch in and the light blinking another relay can be heard and the headlight goes out. The cables do not even so much as wiggle during this process.

So, forgive me for disappearing on you all and then resurrecting a rather old thread but I don't know what to check next.

Any thoughts??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts