GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to temporally disable the reverse safety so that reverse can be engaged without the engine running ?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
GGOD LUCK! Have you changed the Crush Washer Lately?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that if you were to apply 15 volts to the battery, you would be able to take the vehicle out of reverse without the engine running.

I am not going to try it on my bike though.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quincy
The engine is apart right now, I have the right head off. I would like to use the reverse to back the bike up onto a small ramp I have to make it easier to work on. The bike is too heavy to push it up by myself.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Cal-D said:
Quincy
The engine is apart right now, I have the right head off. I would like to use the reverse to back the bike up onto a small ramp I have to make it easier to work on. The bike is too heavy to push it up by myself.
Can you get a winch and pull it onto the ramp? I can't answer your question though, sorry.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
Fred H. said:
There is a wire that comes out of the Cruise Reverse module that gets grounded by the oil pressure switch when the engine is running.

The easy solution would be to remove the wire from the oil pressure switch, and ground it.
FYI, The switch is just above the oil filter with a rubber cover on it. :D

G

·
?????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ??????????????

Why? So you can use it as a parking brake after turning off the engine? Bad idea. Your starter motor and associated linkage in the reverse system is not intended as a parking brake, and damage resulting from doing so can be a very expensive experience.

If your bike is still under warranty and something (anything ...regardless of the reason) goes bad with the reverse system, you better be sure to hook that wire back up to the oil pressure switch before you take it to a dealer, or you can probably kiss your warranty coverage goodbye.

The whole concept seems foolish and unnecessary to me.

Just my $.02

Ride safe.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
?????????? ??????????????

Why? So you can use it as a parking brake after turning off the engine? Bad idea. Your starter motor and associated linkage in the reverse system is not intended as a parking brake, and damage resulting from doing so can be a very expensive experience.

If your bike is still under warranty and something (anything ...regardless of the reason) goes bad with the reverse system, you better be sure to hook that wire back up to the oil pressure switch before you take it to a dealer, or you can probably kiss your warranty coverage goodbye.

The whole concept seems foolish and unnecessary to me.

Just my $.02

Ride safe.

Cal-D said:
Quincy

It helps to read through the posts to see why the original question was asked. :?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Fred H. said:
... The easy solution would be to remove the wire from the oil pressure switch, and ground it.
Fred-
Why not just jumper the wire to ground while it's still connected to the switch? I can't see any reason to first remove the wire from the switch.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Cal-D said:
Does anyone know how to temporally disable the reverse safety so that reverse can be engaged without the engine running ?
I would like to use the reverse to back the bike up onto a small ramp I have to make it easier to work on.
I would not recommend using only the battery to try to go in reverse up a ramp.

During normal operation, even at engine idle, the alternator supplies most of the current to drive the bike in reverse. Additional current from the battery would only come into play when needed by unusually high loads (such as backing uphill).

Using only the battery in the way you suggest will cause a significant voltage drop from the battery and very high currents which could cause the motor to stall and could possibly damage it. Trying to back up a ramp is a much greater strain on the motor than starting the engine, and I would not recommend trying to do this with only the bike's battery.

Hopefully, you can find a better way to get the job done.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The easiest thing to do is call one of your bud's to give you a hand.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think the battery will be an issue, with a full charge it should back the bike 10 ft. That is all I need and if it does start to draw down the battery I have a second battery from my other wing and if necessary a car battery.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts