GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Lets face facts!

Most of us have worn plenty of headgear over our long experienced years of riding. If you are like me you continue to try to find the perfect lid for your topknot.
I thought I found it with an Aria helmet but it rotted out in 2 years and the customer service sucks a big long hairy one.

Well, I’ve found the best lid for the money. I purchased 2 Scorpion Helmets, one EXO 700 for me
http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/exo700_rivet.html

and one EXO 400 for my wife. (She loves it)
http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/exo ... adise.html

These helmets are the best that I’ve ever worn for the money. I highly recommend them.

Do yourself a favor and try one on, see what you think.

Van
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,864 Posts
Van,

Too noisy for me..I returned the 700 I bought. :cry:

I like the CS12 HJC series..built in speaker pockets, I paid $59 dollars for my last one, DOT and SNELL approved too. :D :D


later..Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
Van,
You're scaring me. I bought that exact combination for my wife and me this last weekend. :shock: Blue Paradise for her and red Rivet for me. I was very leary considring the low price (less than $350 for the pair), but I decided to give them a try.

I had to think about how to install my headset, but I figured it out and didn't have to make any modifications to the helmet.

Until Scorpion I've never been able to find a helmet that fit. I have a "long oval" (emphasis on long) and only the Arai Signets fit OK. I'm so impressed with the Scorpion I just can't believe it fits this well. In fact I find it quieter than my Arai.

There are very few things I will recommend, but this is one. You have to try a Scorpion for your next helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Rastoff said:
Van,

I had to think about how to install my headset, but I figured it out and didn't have to make any modifications to the helmet.

I've been looking at the Scorpion as well. My son bought one and loves it! Only reason I haven't tried one was I wasn't sure if a headset/mike would fit in there. Rastoff, can you tell me what headset/mike combination you installed? And, did you encounter any issues with the installation? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
I went with the Scorpion EXO-700 about 8 months ago. I use the EdSets and am impressed with how easy they were to install. The wind noise is average. I really like how light the helmet is and its airflow is top notch. Also, the visor is truly fog resistant for about the first 4 or 5 months.

Another quality helmet in the same price range (about $50.00 more) is the Icon Mainframe. My wife uses it on her ST1300. The windnoise is lower and the EdSets were even easier to install since the liner has webbed pockets for the earphones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,098 Posts
tried on Scorpian in a store a couple years ago, fit was very nice

for me the Scorpian side vision is kinda limmited about the same as with HJC, so when riding i find myself having to turn my head a lot more, been there done that no thanks

so far only wish i could find a better helmet for less money than my Arai
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
SilverHawk,
I put in the J&M headset that I took out of my Arai. The speakers sit a little far back, but they seem to work OK in that position. I will try to post some pictures later.

cycledude,
That's funny 'cause I find my peripheral vision is better with the EXO 700 than it was with my Signet GT. Hmmm...

I like the Icon too, but it doesn't fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rastoff said:
Van,
You're scaring me. I bought that exact combination for my wife and me this last weekend. :shock: Blue Paradise for her and red Rivet for me. I was very leary considring the low price (less than $350 for the pair), but I decided to give them a try.

I had to think about how to install my headset, but I figured it out and didn't have to make any modifications to the helmet.

Until Scorpion I've never been able to find a helmet that fit. I have a "long oval" (emphasis on long) and only the Arai Signets fit OK. I'm so impressed with the Scorpion I just can't believe it fits this well. In fact I find it quieter than my Arai.

There are very few things I will recommend, but this is one. You have to try a Scorpion for your next helmet.
Be afraid! Be very afraid! The only helmet that fit me well (up until now) was an Arai Signet size large. Yes we are more alike than you know. The only difference is more hair (gray) on my head and fat on my gut.

My Aria Signet (Solid Black) was a very comfortable helmet and it spoiled the heck out of me. I paid $300 for it.
I’ve tried HJC, Nolan and an a few off brand (can’t remember the names). I have about 12 helmets, I keep trying them until I get one I like.
The Nolan 102 gives me a headache after a few hours and is very noisy. I’ll sell it to anyone that wants it. I have an HJC Symax that is better but not built as well as the Arai or the Scorpion. I also have a half helmet that I like a lot. It’s an off-brand but it fits well and it’s DOT approved.

Arai is a giant pain in the ass to deal with and their customer service sucks. I’ve tried to replace my cheek pads two times with the same B.S. results.
I want to talk to a person (but never can) about my wants and needs for my helmet. I don’t want to play phone tag or e-mail dodge ball.
Every time, it all boiled down to me needing to send my helmet to them. I felt like Arai didn’t give a crap about me.
I never sent in my helmet just to order some spare parts.
Arai will never get another red cent from me again!

Scorpion fits my head very well but it is a bit noisy, I can add some foam to help that.
It has a hollow pocket for headsets and the visor doesn’t fog up. The visor can be removed easily, unlike the Arai. The Nolan is a bit of a pain as well.
Scorpion makes a fine helmet for the money.

Van 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
INTHEWIND said:
Van,

Too noisy for me..I returned the 700 I bought. :cry:

I like the CS12 HJC series..built in speaker pockets, I paid $59 dollars for my last one, DOT and SNELL approved too. :D :D


later..Randy
Yeah, I got one of those too. You could have had mine for free.

Van 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cycledude said:
so far only wish I could find a better helmet for less money than my Arai
:shock: :shock: :shock:

You just did :roll:

I can't imagine the peripheral vision being limited like you are saying. I have both the Arai and the Scorpion and they are virtually the same regarding peripheral vision to me.

Horse is now at the water. Thirsty? Have a drink.


Van 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rastoff said:
SilverHawk,
I put in the J&M headset that I took out of my Arai. The speakers sit a little far back, but they seem to work OK in that position. I will try to post some pictures later.

cycledude,
That's funny 'cause I find my peripheral vision is better with the EXO 700 than it was with my Signet GT. Hmmm...

I like the Icon too, but it doesn't fit.
I'm planning to get a J&M head set but I'm not sure if it will be better to have a boom mic or not. I'm leaning to a HS-ECD584-FL.
What do you have?

Van
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
I wear an Arai Signet GT on my Wing. I bought a Scorpion EXO400 so I could send the Arai back to the factory to have the trim replaced. I'm very picky about the fit and am very happy with the Scorpion. Last weekend I rode three 12 hr days in a row. 655, 425 & 660m Fri, Sat & Sun and the Scorpion was comfortable and quieter than my Arai. At about $150 it's a good deal and is DOT and Snell certified.

My Scorpion has twice as much space between the chin bar than my Arai. The fog free shield really works!

Arai is lighter. I have neck problems and was worried about the weight of the Scorpion. But after last weekends ride I know the weight is not enough to be of a concern to me.

I was not looking for a replacement for the Arai when I bought the Scorpion. But now I find myself grabbing it whenever I ride alone. I use the Arai when riding 2 up because of the intercom. I have no plans to install one in the Scorpion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
Van Dyer said:
I'm planning to get a J&M head set but I'm not sure if it will be better to have a boom mic or not. I'm leaning to a HS-ECD584-FL.
What do you have?

Van
I don't know which model headset I have; it came with the Arai I bought from a friend. I've never seen an Arai Signet for $300. That was a good price, but I just can't get over how nice the EXO 700 is especially at $200.

I still need to get a headset for my wife's helmet. I'm going to try this one:
IMC DYNAMIC MIC FULL FACE HELMET HEADSET
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rastoff said:
Van Dyer said:
I'm planning to get a J&M head set but I'm not sure if it will be better to have a boom mic or not. I'm leaning to a HS-ECD584-FL.
What do you have?

Van
I don't know which model headset I have; it came with the Arai I bought from a friend. I've never seen an Arai Signet for $300. That was a good price, but I just can't get over how nice the EXO 700 is especially at $200.

I still need to get a headset for my wife's helmet. I'm going to try this one:
IMC DYNAMIC MIC FULL FACE HELMET HEADSET
Ok Hold on to your seat. How about $179? That's what I got my EXO 700 for. I also got the EXO400 for $139. Can I haggle or what? .

Thanks anyway.

Be safe

Van 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,157 Posts
Van Dyer said:
Ok Hold on to your seat. How about $179? That's what I got my EXO 700 for. I also got the EXO400 for $139. Can I haggle or what? .

Thanks anyway.

Be safe

Van 8)
OH YEAH?!? Well I got two free tinted visors with mine! :p So, let me see...hmmm...you got $30 off the price of your helmets and I got $72 in free visors...hmmm....yeah, I win! :wink:

I'm just messin with ya. With these helmets I think we're both winners. Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rastoff said:
Van Dyer said:
Ok Hold on to your seat. How about $179? That's what I got my EXO 700 for. I also got the EXO400 for $139. Can I haggle or what? .

Thanks anyway.

Be safe

Van 8)
OH YEAH?!? Well I got two free tinted visors with mine! :p So, let me see...hmmm...you got $30 off the price of your helmets and I got $72 in free visors...hmmm....yeah, I win! :wink:

I'm just messin with ya. With these helmets I think we're both winners. Enjoy.
:1st: :clap2:
WOW! that's a great deal!!!!!
You Da Man! I do need a sun visor. metalic Blue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,098 Posts
well maybe if i took the scorpion for a ride my opinion of the side vision would change, i have owned a few HJC helmets and every one of them had lousey side vision compaired to any Arai i have owned, maybe its just me
really like the shield changing on the scorpion, nice, quick and simple
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top