GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week in a driving rain storm I picked up a 3 inch deck screw which caused my Michelin rf to go flat....which I discovered in a parking lot 125 miles from home but only a few miles from my brother-in-laws shop. At parking lot speed it felt and sounded like a flat tire....at 35/40 mph it smoothed out in the straights but was twitchy in the corners. My local tire shop fixed it for me. Now, one week and 300 miles later, it is holding pressure exactly as it should.

My question is..... does anyone know how it acts/feels at highway speeds? I didn't have a good reason to find out but I am curious.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
At highway speeds you may not notice it has lost pressure unless you are heavily loaded up.. Thats why most people on here recommned a TPMS if your bike does not come with one just for that reason

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Just think if it was a mc tire ! Wonder what you'd be asking/ saying !;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Had a Kuhmo rf give me trouble a couple of years back. Could not patch it to save my butt. So I rode it home two up pulling a trailer. I could feel it turning, but at straight line 70mph it felt ok. I would NOT encourage anyone doing this, but just had to try it and would not go hyway speeds again for safety reason. But real glad it was a runflat.
FYI - I did ride it 170 mile home that day and made to home safe.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
:agree: My current Michelin Primacy PA3 ZP- RF has over 25000 (s)miles on it and I too had to hoble it home twice...two inside repairs and going strong! I'm not going to say never...but I most likely won't ever go back to a MC tire again. JMPO!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
At highway speeds you may not notice it has lost pressure unless you are heavily loaded up.. Thats why most people on here recommned a TPMS if your bike does not come with one just for that reason
Agreed .

·
Registered
845 Posts
My Michelin Alpin went flat on me a few months back. Running 70-75 down Interstate 10 I was able to tell I had no tire pressure. Changing lanes I could tell the tail end of the bike was sluggish, & soft. I was not loaded down & was riding 1 up. I was riding from Baton Rouge, LA to Lafayette, LA & I was on the 18 Mile Atchafalaya basin bridge. I do think it took several miles for me to notice. Probably as the heat built up in the tire more & more , the sluggish soft feel increased.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I have run a RF and a non RF at 80mph on the way to work not knowing they were flat. I noticed my wing felt a little different. The RF was at 0 pressure, and the non RF had 7psi hot. I am now a rider that believes in a TPMS no matter what tires I run!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Depending on HOW it goes flat probably would depend on the highway speed. Sidewall blow out etc, middle of tread, you get the drift. If it feels funny SLOW DOWN and check it first appropriate moment when you can safely stop.
If my tire was too low I wouldn't chance highway speeds.
mho.

obwan

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Not everyone is going to feel the subtle differences in handling caused by a RF CT when it starts to lose pressure. That is exactly why it is important to get a good TPMS. I've had one punctured RF while riding twisties in TN. The reason I detected it wasn't "feel", but my TPMS alert. Was able to stop at 21psi, get it plugged and ride home (207 miles), some in the twisties. Where the RF came in handy was to be able to ride several miles before getting to a good place to fix the leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts