GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the power plug under the RH pocket accept the same 3 pin Hitachi connector as the one under the LH pocket ? I'm getting ready to wire my GPS unit up and need to know if I have the correct connectors. Thanks in advance.

markie

·
Registered
891 Posts
Plugs

Mine were different,on each of the two sides.I got a 04,but I cut them off and just butt spliced my wire too it.The wire on mine was very short,no room for error.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Markie,

There was a post about this connector recently over on the General Board: http://forums.gl1800riders.com/viewtopic.php?p=17749&highlight=#17749

The connectors are the same (left & right pockets) on an '02, but the RH one is hard to get to.

In addition, you might want to consider wiring your GPS hot so that you can access it when the bike is off and to keep your trip information current during stoppages.

Unfortunately, they didn't give us a nice always-hot connection so you'll either have to tap the harness for the audio unit, or run a dedicated fused line yourself if you want this option. (I originally had mine wired to the acc plug, but changed it after a few days of playing with it).

Have fun,

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only "always hot connector" I know of is in the trunklid. Installed E/C:s Trunk/saddlebag illumination kit resently. Hmm. It might be the way to go :idea: when I´m thinking of it :idea: for my GPS install.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I originally had my GPS V wired to the LH plug but removed that to allow hookup of the SkyFi unit. I've found that I really like the GPS V ability to operate off batteries if required, such as when McDonald's won't let me bring my Wing into the restaurant :roll: . I remember seeing the picture of Jon's hand reaching up into the fairing for the plug. Since I have small hands, I'm hoping that this goes smoothly and doesn't require intervention by the Arnold Fire Department to get my hand free :oops: .

markie

·
Registered
276 Posts
Markie, if it does requrie the Fire Department, we want pictures!!! :lol:

Good luck,

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i am in the middle of a windshield change, thus needed the right mirror off. the wires are almost falling out the right mirror hole.

so that makes it very easy to get at, instead of trying to find it through the pocket hole.

loren

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hot wired GPS V

I wired my GPS V hot also. It would run off the internal batteries, but you had to remember to poke the button before the 30 sec timer ran down. Then I would forget to restart it after gassing up. Like it a lot better now that it is hot wired.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Jon said:
Just wonderin' Loren - why did you have to take off the mirror to change your windshield?
because thats what the 10 pound gl1800 manual told me to do, please dont tell me that i didnt need to do that.

loren

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm sorry to tell you Loren, but you don't need to take the mirrors off to change the windshield.

I'll bet that I could have the new windshield on and the bike buttoned back up before you got your old one off using that method :D

Just as a future "FYI", I've got some instructions with pictures of the process on my "Knight Rider" lights installation page

Just be careful that you don't drop the washer or rubber bushing into the black hole of the fairing... some people use a rag stuffed into the hole to prevent this from happening.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
thats what i get for following directions.

lets see the manual also said to start at the wrong end getting the fairing trim off

loren

1 - 12 of 12 Posts