GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrrggghhhh. My right side saddlebag will not latch. Even with it empty, pressing on it will not latch it. I have closed it gently, I have tried pressing on the side / top gently and with more force. Slamming it does not help. The left side one works normally.

When I press the lock button on the right bag I can hear the mechanism cycle, and it sounds just like the right side that works properly.

Searching for "saddlebag latch" mostly brings up people complaining about how small the bags are, both on here and on google.

After some more troubleshooting I found comparing the right and left latches they look the same. I can press on the rotating white latch piece on all four latches (R&L) with a small screwdriver and they all latch.

When closing the right side though it latches sometimes in the rear, but does not latch in the front even when the rear one latches.

I lubricated the latches with silicone spray and suddenly they both latched. Once. After that if anything latches it will only be the rear one.

Again, it seems an unnecessarily fiddly and fragile mechanism. I hate to think I have to keep it closed with a bungee cord or something and take it back to the dealer, who will likely have less of a clue than I do. They only got two 2018s in last year, their demo and the one I bought.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a post where someone fixed an OPENING problem by loosening the screws that hold the wire loops to the saddlebag lids and moving them some. I did that and after a couple tries of loosening / moving, now it latches. What a crap design.

·
Registered
409 Posts
One thing I noticed when adjusting mine. I can't remember which one, but either the front or the rear one has to latch before the other one will. I want to say the rear first but it has been a while.

You can test this theory by taking the loops off and trying them one at a time. Front and rear latches are tied together.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent suggestion BR-549. But now that it is working again I am hesitant to mess with it. I want to go for a ride tomorrow over Tioga Pass Road in Yosemite NP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts