GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paint on my cowling is peeling (warrantee issue?) and I was thinking about having some type of truck liner material sprayed on. Has anyone done this? If so, how do you like it and can all of the Tupperware take the additional weight? I know custom colors are available and I read that a few even have colors that reflect light in the dark. Please post pics if you have them.

Maybe the paint is peeling from the speed of the fastest color……..

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Winger 63,
I have used the bedliner spray paint just like the Rhino named stuff, works like a champ. :wink: Get a chip in the paint, a touchup with sand paper on the small spot, a small pffft of the spray can and yer gooor better than new. 8)
I think it looks better also, but I'm on a crusade against bling/un-needed chrome. :wink: :yes:
Check out the link to my photobucket page, you'll see what it looks like before ya jump in. 8)

:flg:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. Pics look good, I might go with a stripe down the middle to offset the color. What brand did you use and what are the pros / cons (if you know.)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

I love bein' different than all the others. :wink:

Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating (2 cans) Wally World in the car/truck paint section comes in flat black only (as far as I could find- my personal disclaimer). Also pickup sandable black primer same company to work with it. A pack of 220 grit sand paper also. :wink:

Take cowl off carefully as not to gouge, wipe off dirt, hand sand to rough up to take paint. I wipe down with de-natured alcohol because it leaves no trace after dryin'. 2-3 light coats of primer, more if needed, check for nicks or gouges. Between 3-5 light coats of the bedliner spray, I went for many light coats to get the texture I wanted. I also hung mine up to paint it, made it easy plus it looked even the whole process.
Let yer eyes take it from there, if yer not sure of the distance can to cowl, test on something. I did and learned from it for future use. :wink:

Good luck and post some pics after completion. 8)

·
Premium Member
19,867 Posts
Silver being less air resistant than all other colors is your problem . The silver has less drag and slices thru the wind so fast the paint can't keep up thereby causing some peeling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts