GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting little nugget from Motovudu creator and 500GP champ Simon Crafar's blog:

"One of the great things about riding sports bikes on circuit is--it's all in your head! Until you get to racing levels, its not about how old you are, how fit you are, or even what gender you are.

"I’ll give you one of my favourite examples: I was at Cartagena and was introduced to the three people I was giving instruction to that day. An early thirty year old, tall, polite guy in good physical condition (we have since become good friends). He then introduced me to his buddy who he said was a K1 Kick-boxer. I guess the kick-boxer was late twenties, shaved head, tattoo’s and not an ounce of fat on him. He was quietly spoken and quick to smile. The third guy was on his own, nice bloke, mid sixties I guess, with a hand shake that spoke of office work and a paunch. All said they had not ridden on circuit before, but had ridden on the street.You can guess what my preconceptions were. I will try not to make that mistake again. As I said, its all in your head.The older guy soaked up what I told him and was prepared to trust what I showed him without hesitation, getting off the brakes and following me into the turns. The younger, fitter guys weren’t prepared to do this. They would not relax and trust their bike and tyres. I can't remember the lap times exactly, but by the end of the day the older bloke was lapping about 10 seconds a lap faster that the others, and doing it smoothly, accurately, and safely."

Read the rest of the post here.

I'm ordering the book and video tonight--looks like about $50 shipped from GB. Amazon lists just the CD for about $40 (book not available). If you are familiar with Crafar or his approach, please chime in.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. Last night I ordered the Simon Crafar's Motovudu video from Amazon.com. It should be here in about a week.

Until then, those of you playing along at home can read an interview with Simon over at VisorDown.com. Search for the term "common things" for an interesting summary of what he sees people doing wrong on the track. His racing philosophy seems to comes down to "go fast in the fast parts."

I'm not sure how much of this will really apply to the touring rider, but it is my duty to watch and experiment and give you my full, real world report (gosh, it's such a bother--I don't know if I can handle it). :twisted:

Simon_Crafar.jpg

copyrightimage.gif
copyrightimage.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts