GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip from Evansville Indiana to Atlanta in the late spring (May 2014). I do not want to use any Interstate Highways (if possible). I plan on taking US 41 South from Evansville to Nashville and hope to stay on the old US 41 all the way to Nashville. The Pennyrile Parkway would be OK, but I know that I can use the Old Road all the way down to the Kentucky/Tennessee Boarder. Just South of I-24 the Old 41 seems to run straight through Ft. Campbell and then on into Clarksville. I'm not sure if that road is open to the general public or not? Anyone know? The Old Highway is open from Clarksville to Nashville. I plan to stay in Nashville and visit my son who lives there. Next morning, it's off to Chattanooga via Old 41. I've driven Old 41 from Nashville to Murphysboro, but not beyond. Does Old 41 route through Chattanooga and up and over Mount Eagle? Anyone want to ride along?

I wanted to update this post to let everyone know that I can stay on the Old US 41 all the way down to Atlanta. I pretty much follows I-24 and I-75, but it looks fun and Historic. You go through all the twons, this means stop lights, but it also means culture and seeing the real route to Atlanta and not just fast food exits. I will take off a Friday and a Monday for a weekend in May (maybe Memorial Day weekend?) and make the trip. If anyone would like to ride with me, send me a message.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
There are lots if ways to get to Atlanta without getting on any interstate. I would work east towards 27 to TN 111, to 41. Better allow all day to get there, you will need it! You could also run right thru the Tail of the Dragon to get there, but it will be a couple hours longer. I ride to the Maggie Valley, Tellico Plains, and Franklin area 11 times last year, and at least half the times we took the back roads. If you like to go down one day and come back the next, we do it all the time, I will try and let you know next time I go, but most of the time I don't know until Thursday or so that I am leaving Friday or Saturday. :=)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, you can run 41 all the way down, when you get to Chattanooga be sure you go through the BACHMAN TUBES- tunnels through the mountain on old 41, pretty cool

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I tracked US41 all the way from Evansville to Atlanta on Microsoft Streets. You will just have to be careful and pay close attention to signs and your map. This is one of those routes that I am not sure a GPS would want to follow and a good map showing the roadway may be much better.

If it were me I would just print maps from Microsoft streets with all of the turns and twists and follow them. I would probably input my destinations in the
GPS for use if I got lost. I am not sure what the state maps will show.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's a good road all the way down, you just have to watch your speed through Chattanooga, they set up speed cameras thru town. It is a good ride across Monteagle and down across Nickajack lake.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You will have to take a detour onto I-24 to cross Nickajack lake because the 41 highway bridge is closed for rebuilding. Will not be finished until early 2015. It is only a short detour of about 3 miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone

Good advice on the NickJack bridge. I've used that little bypass acrodd the Old 41 Bridge before. Wrecks happen on the I-24 Causeway often and cars and trucks back up quickly. This should be fun. We'll do this over Memorial Day, so we'll have all weekend. Bet we find plenty of places to stop and may have to check into one of those small town motels. Those motels can be great or a nightmare (LOL).

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
I have used that route a few times and enjoyed it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's a good road all the way down, you just have to watch your speed through Chattanooga, they set up speed cameras thru town. It is a good ride across Monteagle and down across Nickajack lake.

What's the detour? Hard to tell looking at the map.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What's the detour? Hard to tell looking at the map.
The bridge closure and detour is about 15 miles west of Chattanooga where 41 crosses the Tennessee River or Nickajack Lake. If you are coming from Nashville you would get on I24 at exit 158 and get off at exit 161 and turn left to get back on 41.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bridge closure and detour is about 15 miles west of Chattanooga where 41 crosses the Tennessee River or Nickajack Lake. If you are coming from Nashville you would get on I24 at exit 158 and get off at exit 161 and turn left to get back on 41.
Terrific, thanks! I go back and forth from Indy to Atlanta quite often. Only used the bike once because it's an 8 hour drive by car on the expressway. I did it on the bike once but it wasn't a whole lot of fun spending 9+ hours on the expressway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've rolled down Highway 41 through Manchester, Monteagle, down through Tracy and Jasper into Chattanooga. Nice, scenic road - you should enjoy it. If you're looking for a place to eat when you're going through Monteagle, I happened upon a great little diner in Monteagle (called 'Monteagle Diner' believe it or not!). I just Googled it and it looks like it is still there, although it seems to also go by "Lockhart's Diner" now. It is on the southeast side of 41 right at the I-24 eastbound entrance ramp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts