GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic is almost done replacing my 04 oem shock with a Wilbers shock that has adjustable ride height and can be hooked up to the motorized preload adjuster. I am doing this to increase ride height and cornering clearance. My question is, will lengthening the shock cause damage to the universal joint because the drive shaft will be coming off at a slightly different angle? My mechanic says that the length is increased 7mm and this has increased the seat height about one inch. I am also having Wilbers fork springs installed. Thanks--Carl

·
Registered
533 Posts
Carl,

Wow, this seems to be a new angle for a Goldwing, wanting more height for hard riding. I salute you.

It does peak my curiousity, however, about your height, inseam etc, that allow you to do so. Also, I am impressed that you are dragging metal on the curves. I have usually been accused of taking the curves too fast, but yet I seldom drag a peg. I've dragged a boot sole plenty, but have gotten in the habit of pulling the boot up above the inside peg.

How much more peg height at full lean do you think you will get with alteration (you will get about 70% of the additional vertical rise)?

Good luck...you should be able to scare the hell out of most crotch rocket riders.

Deadeye

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would you post a picture of the bike. Get the bearings in the head replaced with the Allballs tapered kit. This bike will be ready for the Dragon!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Deadeye---I am 5'7 and have a 30" inseam. I love riding sport bikes but also love touring with my wife. When I am riding solo, I tend to ride like I like to ride no matter what bike I am on. I really do not enjoy having to alter my riding style to accomodate the bike. The GL 1800 has a good frame, sportbike type suspension, good rubber and a great motor and could be ridden alot more aggressively if it had a bit more cornering clearance. When I ride it in the twisties I am on the pegs all of the time. I have read about using Works spring for the shock and forks and how this improves the cornering clearance. I am only 165 lbs and feel that the most improvement would come from more ride height, that is why I have gone with Wilbers shock. They are very high quality, have adjustable ride height and can be made to work with the GL 1800 motorized preload. A friend put one on his K1200LT and it really transformed the handling. Another inch of ride height along with a stiffer spring(rather than setting the preload at 25 to compensate) should be a lot of fun. I'll keep you posted. Now, twistit, what about those bearings?

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
What are you doing to the front to get it up? That is where you need the extra height! When you ram the 1800 into a hard switchback the front factory springs will collapse.

If your just scraping the pegs you have alot of room left to get on over! You should be getting your chrome muffler covers, brake pedal, exhaust covers, and crash bars. I put Progressive Springs in the front to give me the extra height and clearance. I gained a minimum of +1" at the seat.

I can't tell you how much better it handles with the Progressive Springs because I had Metzlers put on at the same time. The Metzlers have slipped a couple of times on me when I have gotten over. They are coming off tomorrow with Stones going back on. I should know how it works by the weekend!

JD.....Not much if any usable rubber left when you're on the exhaust covers. No "Chicken Stripes" either! :D LOL..... Most of the damage was done on some of my favorite roads between Rogersville, Tn and Joneville(?),Va. I have a stretch of road up that way that is 54 miles of Deals Gap! :lol: That is the road I lost my cookies on last summer. :( Man, I came down that mountain real slow! LOL... I went back the next day and tore the mountain up! I really love the way this bike handles.

I had about 9,000 miles on my Stones when I did this. The bike never felt like it moved a hair when it was over to the max. I am very confident that the 1800 and the Bridgestones will keep me from kissing the asphalt! (I Hope!)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
springs

That is living proof that Red has been in deals gap. i'm wondering, at this point how much usuable rubber is left at this point? I have read of wing owners literally riding their wings off their suspension. You know what happens in this scenario. You're outta rubber and outta luck. There is a fine line at this point imho.
Ride safe gents and enjoy.
JD :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red--I am replacing OEM fork springs with Wilbers linear fork springs and I believe my mechanic is replacing the fork oil in at least one of the forks. He is also welding a piece of steel onto the side and center stand feet to lengthen them. Bike should be ready soon but with the weather up here in upstate NY, I dont know when I will be able to get the bike.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for that added info. So far, I am very happy with the 1800 suspension. I've put 18,000 miles on it in the first year with no performance complaints.

I upped all the suspension on my previous bike to Progressive, and expect to do the same when I get the feeling that the stock gear is sagging (probably next fall). But I am interested in the Wilbers that you are mounting, so please keep us informed of your experience.

If I can find a taller rear tire, I'll go with that for more air space, as well as correcting the speedo.

·
Registered
134 Posts
cenglebardt said:
.....I am doing this to increase ride height and cornering clearance. .......My mechanic says that the length is increased 7mm and this has increased the seat height about one inch.
You are also increasing your COG (Center of Gravity)....hmmmmm :roll:

·
Registered
533 Posts
The COG issue is debatable, if not insignificant. If the seat is raised 1" when straight up, he has raised the COG only about 3/4" while in a curve. If he uses the 3/4" to go faster and lean more he has neutralized the COG change.

But really, what is 1" of COG, given the range of weights that riders have, Add 20 pounds with its own COG 6" or so above the seat and you would quickly forget about the higher stance of the MC.

This is like folks saying that the BMW K1200LT is top heavy, but is a great handler. There is a lot more than COG going on for good turns.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Deadeye-USMV said:
The COG issue is debatable, if not insignificant.
I respectfully beg to differ. It IS significant when you already ride at maximum lean angle. Read the Jan 04 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Annette,
My comment was in the context of the post about raising the bike for more height and lean ability. In that context, I was saying the the change to the COG of 1 inch or less was insignificant to other issues in making turns, not that it was insignificant to motorcycle design. I'm sorry if that was not clear.

The other issues I was thinking of were: the weight and COG of the rider and the amount of "active riding" being utilized, meaning moving your body weight into the turn for more speed and less lean, as well as ground clearance.

I would like to read the reference you made to the Jan, 04 MCN. I just thumbed through that issue and the subject didn't jum out at me. Drop me an e-mail with the specific article, please.

Thanks,

·
Registered
134 Posts
Deadeye,
Your right, I did misunderstand your post. I guess I didn't make myself clear either on the COG issue. Sorry. The article I was referring to is actually in the February 04 issue, page 5, "Lean Angle and CofG". Take care and ride safe. :capwin:

(Now what do ya say we go out and scrape some metal?? :D )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts