GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I took the class he gives in New Port Richie, Fla. about a year and half ago. Well worth the $$. I have the DVD and we did every exercise that was on the DVD. He stays on you the whole time and makes sure it's done right.

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
Has anyone here looked at the Ride Like a Pro DVD? I'm interested in taking a look at one.
I'd be happy to send you a copy - just pm me your address.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well worth owning. If you haven't checked out their site there are some good clips.

Hector

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I think Ride like a Pro V has a great amount of info on it, especially for a beginner rider. I'm one of those guys that have been putting miles on a bike for 40+ years and even though it's hard to teach an old Dog new tricks, I did pick up a few good ideals from the video. The problem I have is that it doesn't talk about riding a bike in the real world. Everything in the video is about riding up to maybe 20 MPH. I've only known of one rider that killed himself in a 10 MPH parking lot fall off and this video wouldn't have helped him. If you want to be the best rider on your block running around in a 20 foot circle Pro V will make you the winner. Someone should put out a DVD about riding in 45 to 70 MPH conditions dodging cars and dogs, that's where most riders get hurt or killed. If you want to look cool riding around in a parking lot, ride like a pro is for you, but if you need to learn how to ride a MC, it's not going to get you there. JMHO

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I think Ride like a Pro V has a great amount of info on it, especially for a beginner rider. I'm one of those guys that have been putting miles on a bike for 40+ years and even though it's hard to teach an old Dog new tricks, I did pick up a few good ideals from the video. The problem I have is that it doesn't talk about riding a bike in the real world. Everything in the video is about riding up to maybe 20 MPH. I've only known of one rider that killed himself in a 10 MPH parking lot fall off and this video wouldn't have helped him. If you want to be the best rider on your block running around in a 20 foot circle Pro V will make you the winner. Someone should put out a DVD about riding in 45 to 70 MPH conditions dodging cars and dogs, that's where most riders get hurt or killed. If you want to look cool riding around in a parking lot, ride like a pro is for you, but if you need to learn how to ride a MC, it's not going to get you there. JMHO
Jerry has another DVD that does just that. I think it's called "Riding the Mean Streets" or something like that. It show real world situations and how to come out in one piece.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I took the class he gives in New Port Richie, Fla. about a year and half ago. Well worth the $$. I have the DVD and we did every exercise that was on the DVD. He stays on you the whole time and makes sure it's done right.
+1

But the key to the whole thing is, practise, practise, practise...

-

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I think you missed the point altogether. As Jerry says right at the start..., anyone can ride a bike well at 50 mph, but it take skill and control to ride it well at 5 mph.

-

·
Registered
71 Posts
I Have both RLAP IV and RLAP V. Jerry is the man and I have a great deal of admiration for his program, his message, and himself as a person.:thumbup:

They are pretty much the same thing, RLAP V is a bit longer and has a few things updated. I do prefer and recommend V, but if you are tight on cash and can find any older versions for cheap, you can go ahead and get it without worrying that you are missing a whole lot.

Personally, I did not find Surviving the Mean Streets all that useful. I found it to mostly just be a re-hash of the stuff from RLAP. IMHO I would pass on it.

All riders should watch RLAP just to see Maryanne handling her big Harley. It it truly a thing of beauty to see that tiny woman in action. She can ride better then probably 90% of the men in the world. Really makes you understand that training and skill is everything.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I think you missed the point altogether. As Jerry says right at the start..., anyone can ride a bike well at 50 mph, but it take skill and control to ride it well at 5 mph.

-
My friend, I have to disagree with you. At 50+ you die, at 5mph you scratch your mirror. Sure everyone needs to know how to get out of their driveway without falling off, but once you get on the open road the real action starts. Being able to kick all your buddies butts riding around in a 20 foot circle won't save your bacon on the highway.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well believe it or not those "dumb" parking lot excercises will save ur butt in the real world / you learn the basics of what you need 2 do in a situation and when you learn it and practice it you will do things by instinct / theres a reason why we train and do those basic things every training day with the sheriffs motors / its to ingrain responses without having to think b4 doing / in the real world you better respond by instinct because you don't have the time to think about what to do if an emergency happens

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
My friend, I have to disagree with you. At 50+ you die, at 5mph you scratch your mirror. Sure everyone needs to know how to get out of their driveway without falling off, but once you get on the open road the real action starts. Being able to kick all your buddies butts riding around in a 20 foot circle won't save your bacon on the highway.
Like I said..., I think you completely missed the point..., which is just an opinion..., just as yours is. :rolleyes:

-

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I Have both RLAP IV and RLAP V. Jerry is the man and I have a great deal of admiration for his program, his message, and himself as a person.:thumbup:

They are pretty much the same thing, RLAP V is a bit longer and has a few things updated. I do prefer and recommend V, but if you are tight on cash and can find any older versions for cheap, you can go ahead and get it without worrying that you are missing a whole lot.

Personally, I did not find Surviving the Mean Streets all that useful. I found it to mostly just be a re-hash of the stuff from RLAP. IMHO I would pass on it.

All riders should watch RLAP just to see Maryanne handling her big Harley. It it truly a thing of beauty to see that tiny woman in action. She can ride better then probably 90% of the men in the world. Really makes you understand that training and skill is everything.
She's cute and all that, but being the best in the world around a parking lot doesn't mean you survive in the real world.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I have these videos... they are good for, in my opinion, their intended purpose... learning to manage your bike at slow speeds. You learn the technique to control the bike in slow maneuvering and turns.

The point is riding a bike at 55 mph is "relatively" easy compared to riding it at 20 mph. Managing the bike well at slow speed takes some ability and technique as well. Most folks who are unskilled at riding think that riding at slow speed is "easy" and you need to only be "good" at high speed riding.

You need to be good at both... duckwalking your bike, using only your front brake when doing slow turns, etc is bad technique... something Jerry wants you to learn not to do.

Certainly, there are things to learn about surviving at highway speeds. Not the intention these videos... but some of what you learn will probably help with this.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Our STAR chapter has a field day every spring with the video and parking lot practice. It is great watching their faces when I drag pegs on a Wing. They are great info and will make you a better rider. IMHO:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts