GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haste Maker and I have a ride planned for Monday. We will leave from the Hardee's in Moody at 9:30 cut back to I-59 to Collinville up around Little River Canyon through Mentone, Cloudland up the backside of Chattnooga eat lunch at Bea's Restaurant then over Lookout Mtn and back I-59. If the weather holds as is it will be dry with a high of 55. The more the merrier so we decided to post this here for anyone wanting to go. There are a lot of folks from AL that I have not met on this board and it is time we met and used this sub-board for something. If you are interested post here on this thread. Right at 300 miles and should be back around 5. Bea's only takes cash no credit cards but good food in a different syle of serving from what you are used to.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Should be a great ride that I would love, but unfortunately, I too must work. Maybe another time. :-(

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know a weekday ride is hard if you are still working but anyone shows up I will be glad to ride with you. For this one Tues, Wed, and Thurs looked rainy. Saturday and Sunday look sunny if anyone wants to throw a ride out there.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
If I didn't have to work, Tow, I'd be there.:frown:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I didn't have to work, Tow, I'd be there.:frown:
Wish you could. I guess either I will have to get up early and come to Ga or the other way around. At least this one rides up between us! If you and Dan want to come over for a ride come in the night before, I have 2 extra bedrooms.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope ya'll had a good ride. Already scheduled contractor to put tile in the kitchen or I would have tried to meet. Just a lone rider here......Maybe next time...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope ya'll had a good ride. Already scheduled contractor to put tile in the kitchen or I would have tried to meet. Just a lone rider here......Maybe next time...
Well you got hmi started might ride tomorrow will ride St or Sun

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whew.....

Good thing I didn't get to go. Rode today. For some reason, checked rear tire. Found about 3 slits. Not bad ones, about a half inch or less. But still not good to me! Got about 10,000 on the E-3's right now. Only got 9500 on the original tires. Crap -- now to decide what rear tire to buy!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thing I didn't get to go. Rode today. For some reason, checked rear tire. Found about 3 slits. Not bad ones, about a half inch or less. But still not good to me! Got about 10,000 on the E-3's right now. Only got 9500 on the original tires. Crap -- now to decide what rear tire to buy!
Replace ir quick. I am putting a new rear on tonorrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dog gone right! Gotta have good tires. What are you gonna put on? I've read all the posts and know less about what brand to get!!!!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dog gone right! Gotta have good tires. What are you gonna put on? I've read all the posts and know less about what brand to get!!!!!
Now you are going to start a 4 page argument! I run Avons and I will put an Avon on I got from Hal's Christmas Sale. But in 8,000 miles I will replace it with a C/T

·
Registered
33 Posts
You have a shop you like? All the comments on all the tires just make my head hurt. Wish some way it was a simple thing to decide on. :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mount my own. If you are looking for a shop try Minor Tire and Wheel in Decatur. You will have to buy the tires from him at his price but he is the cheapest around. I used him before I started changing my own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the comments....Not sure about working on the Wing myself. Have taken my Harleys ( this '73 and the '69) down to the frame, but not sure about the Wing. I use to change my tires on 750's, but got tired of looking like a "monkey on a football". I'm to old to look that silly now.
I do the regular stuff -- oil&filter, rear end fluid--easy stuff. I ain't even sure about getting the rear tire off the bike. The reading part is easy enough, but still now sure about the hands on part.......Must have gotten to worried in my old age--- :coffee1:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have to have the right tools and the right friend to help. I have the Harbor Freight changer which will get you by but starts to get shaky after 4 or 5 sets of tires. The good thing is that it will pay for itself the first set of tires and the others are more expensive. The main reason I like it is I know it is done right. Cleaning the wheels for instance, if you steel wool the beads you will find the tires do not leak down near as much but no commercial tire company will take the time to do that. Working on the wing is hard because of all the plastic that has to come off and if you are not comfortable with it do not do it. My problem is I was only born with a thimble full of patience and I used that up before my first birthday and you need a lot of it to work on a Goldwing. If you can't enjoy it do not do it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Friend of mine on this board (Heavy on the Gravy) took his own tire to Smith Bro. in Oneonta. They mounted and balanced for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up....Just saw where the "Spring Sale" started. Maybe can save a few bucks on tires. That sounds like a great price for mounting...
Being a poor ole retired guy is rough on the pocketbook :shrug:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
It is a good price...I'd call before I made the trip to make sure the deal is still good. I'd also consider Dyna Beads for the balance, I love them and Towmoter is using them also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not the tire I had in mind...But, just got offered a D-250 mounted on a rim. Its a take off from a trike build. Tire and wheel both $238.00. The shop guy said they are NEW, think he said they are off an 08 model.........Now I do have a headache!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts