GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
Anybody out there in GL land had any experience with the ride off center stands...Are they hard to install. Tried to find instructions on line but no luck...Would appriciate any advise and/or tips for installing...Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
Morning,
Anybody out there in GL land had any experience with the ride off center stands...Are they hard to install. Tried to find instructions on line but no luck...Would appriciate any advise and/or tips for installing...Thanks
no different than replacing the normal center stand, losen the bolt and take old one off, put new on on. I used vice grips to the spring on the hook. That was the hardest part, just open the stand up a bit and pull until your head is ready to explode, and blink, it will pop on.....LOL.

Just remember if you do your own mainenance and you have a drive on lift with a drop hole under the back wheel, a drive off center stand will prevent you from removing the cover. FYI....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I find mine hard to use. It doesn't want to drive off. Just spins the wheel. I have to place a thin (3/16 inch) board under the front of the rear tire so it can get a grip to pull off. I just stopped using the center stand entirely. Bought a lift for the maintenance tasks.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I find mine hard to use. It doesn't want to drive off. Just spins the wheel. I have to place a thin (3/16 inch) board under the front of the rear tire so it can get a grip to pull off. I just stopped using the center stand entirely. Bought a lift for the maintenance tasks.
Refer to post #3:thumbup:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I used vice grips to the spring on the hook. That was the hardest part, just open the stand up a bit and pull until your head is ready to explode, and blink, it will pop on.....LOL.
You can bend the spring and put pennies in between the coils, thus lengthening the spring making installation easier...then you don't have to explode your head :22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:

My bike came with a rideoff stand, and I tossed it in favor of the factory stand; maintenance tasks are easier with the factory stand, and with the back wheel completely off the ground as the factory stand will do, you can spin the motorcycle like a turntable if you are on smooth concrete...Plus I always felt the bike wasn't quite steady and level when it was sitting on the rideoff stand...Most people go the way of the rideoff stand because they find putting the bike on the factory stand to be a chore...if you learn the proper technique, this is not the case.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The right side bolt is LEFT-hand thread.

Before you begin, get 8-10 quarters or quarter-sized washers. Move the stand to stretch the spring and insert them into the spaces in the spring.

An old-time drum brake spring removal and installation tool makes it easy to take off and reinstall the spring.

Notice the flat side of the spacers that the bolts go thru and how they fit in.

I did it with the bike on the side and recommend that you use some kind of bike lift

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Bought mine from Hal several years ago, I love it. Rarely use the side-stand anymore. Just put the Wing in reverse and back the bike up onto the Ride Off center-stand by pushing it down with my left heel while still on the bike.

Instead of pennies I use quarters between each spring coil to remove and reinstall the center-stand spring.

On removing the center-stand don't forget that one of the bolts is a LEFT-HAND thread!

The center-stand I have came with slip on nylon feet that raise the stand to OEM height for times you need to get the rear wheel off the ground. A simple 2x6 piece of wood works great for me most of the time when I am working on the bike at home. (Or just pop it up on the Pitbull)

Never had any problems using the Ride Off Center=Stand, works great and it is CHROME! :thumbup:

For the record:

CENTERSTAND REMOVAL:

1. Put bike on centerstand.

2. Shove a bunch of washers into the spring.

3. Roll bike off of centerstand and rest on sidestand.

4. Remove bottom of centerstand spring from tang with spring hook.

5. Remove port pivot bolt: 8 mm allen socket. Can be stubborn.

6. Remove starboard pivot bolt: *** LEFT HAND THREADS!!! *** 14 mm socket. Can be stubborn.

REASSEMBLY NOTES:

1. Pay attention to proper orientation of spacers when reassembling. I clean and grease everything. I also spray a little truck bed liner on the portion of the centerstand that gets blasted with road grit.

2. I use Blue Loc-Tite on the pivot bolt threads. I torque the starboard pivot bolt to specs before reinstalling the spring. I torque the port pivot bolt to specs after the spring is reinstalled and the bike is back on the centerstand.

3. I safety-wire and zip-tie the bottom of the centerstand spring to the tang after reassembly.

IHTH someone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts