GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Ride-On for a while now on several tires/wheels. I've never had a problem and it always rinsed off.

But last night I had the rear tire removed with over 16K miles on it and the sealant has "bonded" all over the inside, center part of the wheel. I can't call it corrosion, it just has become what looks like a crystalized bond. I quickly took an aluminum wire brush and the stuff brushes off easily. I'll wet sand the inside of the wheel and in a half hour or so I'm sure everything will look fine.

But for me, I think this is the last I'll use it as obviously does not always just rinse off like they say. I'll just keep my pump and tire plugs handy from now on.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Another strike against Ride-On. There have been many discussions about it. Some have used it for a long time and never had a problem. Others have had big problems. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Fuse, Ride on could give a damn less. My rim was badly pitted, they give me back the 30 bucks and never asked for any more specifics other than photos. I would have given them the wheel but they showed no interest. After all, according to them, It's not their products fault.

Drift through other forums and you will see people posting problems with it as well. I think Fred recently noted that FJR riders are experiancing damaged wheels as well.

Dchance was lucky, his was only a mess, no pitting.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Yes, they think it's not their product because hardley anyone reports problems. It's the same with anything. If you have millions of sales but only hear of a handfull of problems then you would think that it can't be the product. But if everyone would complain to the manufacturer instead of forums then they would have thousands, maybe tens of thousands of complaints and that might get someone's attention.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Many have, and in addition they have been on the forums, this one included and its same-o same-o. I wouldnt hold my breath waiting on them to admit to a problem with their products reaction to aluminum.

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
There was a report on one of the FJR forums of RideOn pitting and ruining a set of wheels.

In My Opinion, RideOn and Slime and any other liquid don't belong in a wheel. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There is no magical cure for punctured tires. The best you can do is put a plug in it. Which, by the way, you can't do if you have RideOn in the tire, cause it will prevent the plug from sticking.

Don't waste your money on this stuff. It will only cause you grief.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We have changed enough tires in the last two years, to have witnessed many things.

One being what all this magic in a can stuff can do to a wheel.

I think we need to start taking pictures to make folks believers.

Like I said in another post, many of the tire manufacturers "can" refuse warranty on any tire that has been associated with anything other than air.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Bulldog.. I didnt believe in the beginning as well. Once it cost me to buy a new rear wheel I posted pictures and all I got was grief...... I was lucky, all I had to buy was new rear wheel which I picked up on Ebay new from a trike shop for about 75 dollars with shipping. If I hadnt been able to save my front wheel it would have cost me 300 plus.

I applaud you if you do post the pics but know up front for many it will be blamed on using the wrong whatever on the bead mounting the tire, or the compressor was a creating too much water for the water soluble product or its not the same brand they use and they can tell by the color of the gobs of corrossion in the photos. Heck it may even be someone held their tonque wrong when it was installed but it won't be the fault of the product.

My photos are after exstensive wire brushing by hand.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/jo ... 110011.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/jo ... 110014.jpg

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Wonder what the result would be if you put slime or ride-on in a tire with the presure sensors installed? Bet it would make for a long thread.....and winter reading....

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
Fred H. said:
There was a report on one of the FJR forums of RideOn pitting and ruining a set of wheels.

In My Opinion, RideOn and Slime and any other liquid don't belong in a wheel. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There is no magical cure for punctured tires. The best you can do is put a plug in it. Which, by the way, you can't do if you have RideOn in the tire, cause it will prevent the plug from sticking.

Don't waste your money on this stuff. It will only cause you grief.
Maybe a dirt bike with tube but dont use on a tubeless street tire-just a big mess

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ride On

Get yourself a good plug kit, and compressor, there's tons of em on the market, forget the Ride On! I don't care what anyone says it does dry up and mess up your rims, developed a slow leak the the tire guy at the shop told me it was getting around the base of the valve causing a slow leak, the rim looked awful too. Its crap!

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
Bulldog.. I didnt believe in the beginning as well. Once it cost me to buy a new rear wheel I posted pictures and all I got was grief...... I was lucky, all I had to buy was new rear wheel which I picked up on Ebay new from a trike shop for about 75 dollars with shipping. If I hadnt been able to save my front wheel it would have cost me 300 plus.

I applaud you if you do post the pics but know up front for many it will be blamed on using the wrong whatever on the bead mounting the tire, or the compressor was a creating too much water for the water soluble product or its not the same brand they use and they can tell by the color of the gobs of corrossion in the photos. Heck it may even be someone held their tonque wrong when it was installed but it won't be the fault of the product.

My photos are after exstensive wire brushing by hand.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/jo ... 110011.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/jo ... 110014.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts