GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing ride on in my tires after a run in with an industrial staple. Need opinions.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I never had it on Rio (2001 GW1800), but have it in the tires of Skeeter (2005 Silver Wing). But its kind of like having the mayonaise in the refrig to keep elephants out - must work because I've never seen an elephant in the refrig.

However, I have also not experienced any flat tires like I did on Rio (three - all rear). They say it also extends the life of the tire by allowing it to run cooler, but again, I've only got 10,500 miles on Skeeter, so can't coment on that part, either.

Just make sure you don't confuse Ride On with Slime. The latter will corrode your rims and cause an unholy mess, while the former will just wash off when the tire is dismounted (or so I've been told).

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
One consideration may be your tire warranty;

From http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_warranties.asp

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium.

Another interesting "Not Covered" item in Dunlops list,
Tires used on motorcycles fitted with trailers.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Captain Dan said:
Thinking about installing ride on in my tires after a run in with an industrial staple. Need opinions.
A lot of folks swear by the stuff. It probably works but, does it maybe work to good? Would you have known about the staple? How many nails or whatevers in the tire before its unsafe? I wouldn't use it but ,if i did, i would probably thourghly check my tires on a more regular basis than what i or most folks do. Perferably after each ride. That way you can get it fixed before your next ride. 8)

·
Registered
537 Posts
i use it...... love it......... works great...... nice peace of mind.....

i still keep a compressor and plug kit on board in case something comes
along ride-on cant handle

plan on using it on all tires from here on out ;-)

·
Registered
582 Posts
LordZarkon said:

What LordZarkon said ! ! !

·
Registered
601 Posts
will this stuff cause your tires to be unbalanced, or unsafe at high speeds ??
8)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
not at all, I have it used it & see no problem,YET :roll:
I will be changing tires & will post what it was like to WASH Ride -On off of my rims & tires :roll: :?:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
There have been several cases of Ride On causing corrosion on the rims, and not only on the GL1800.

If you get a hole in your tire, it not only won't be able to seal it, but it will also make it impossible to plug or repair. I have also heard of cases where it dries up and turns into oatmeal like flakes inside the wheel.

In My Opinion, this stuff is bad news and I would steer clear of it.

G

·
0 Posts
re:ride-on

mark in mesa arizona here. i put ride-on into both of my tires on my bike and it did not prevent a flat on the rear from a nail right in the middle of the tread area. when i had the tires replaced the stuff had turned into glop that resembled cottage cheese and the shop had one hell of a time getting it off of the rims. it did not just wash off with water. what a mess! never again, but best of luck to those with a better experience with the stuff.
btw, it did etch the inner surface of the wheels, but not enough to cause any problems or safety concerns.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Mark05, You are just one of the many who have had nothing but trouble with this crap. It pitted my rear wheel so bad that it wouldnt hold air and I had to buy another. The front was badly pitted as well but with a wire wheel brush on a drill motor I was able to salvage the rim. Ride on does back their product for what its worth and gave me back my 30 bucks.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I used in my Gl1500 tires but never had a protrusion to tire, replaced tires and the Ride On was'nt fluid, after 18500 mi. I have a kit for my gl1800 and am not going to install. No corrosion in gl1500 wheels. I'll sell my kit for a Taker!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
From what Fred Harmon said , I don't think I'll be using this Goop again :roll:
I can't attest that Ride-On saved me from the flat tire demons :roll:
but cottage cheese in my wheels I don't need :oops:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
will this stuff cause your tires to be unbalanced, or unsafe at high speeds ??
8)
sustained speed of 130mph........ was too busy watchin picket fences flying by to notice if ride-on was ok 8)

my baby was rock steady at warp 13 8)

i dont normally do this...... but had to see what top end was
now im happy

·
Registered
421 Posts
LordZarkon said:

Yep, what LordZarkon said. I believe it kept the drywall screw from leaking air in my rear tire. The tire still had 41 lb. in it. I plugged it with a standard rope plug and ran it about 40 miles before getting the tire replaced. Here is some info from Ride-On I think you will find interesting.

The ingredients that comprise Ride-On TPS will not damage the components of casings or wheels. Ride-On TPS contains corrosion inhibitors that protect steel, magnesium, and aluminum wheels and tire belts against corrosion. Ride-On TPS also protects yellow metals like brass, commonly found in valve stems and cores, against oxidation. Ride-On tire sealant can be easily washed out of tires with water. It will not affect the future use of patches or other tire repairs.

Ride-On TPS should only be installed in wheels that are free from corrosion. Ride-On TPS contains ingredients specifically designed to adhere to oxidized metals. This feature was engineered into the product to help thwart the spread of corrosion.

If Ride-On is installed in a wheel with existing corrosion, when the wheel is dismounted, the product may appear to take on the color of the corrosion and may appear to be orange, dark brown, or rust in color. The product consistency may also appear to possess less viscosity (be more fluid). A portion of Ride-On will typically adhere to already-corroded wheels and will appear as scale. It is important to note that Ride-On does not worsen existing corrosion, and will actually aid in the removal of oxidized metal on wheels, which may be noticed when tires are dismounted from wheels. Ride-On TPS may also soften water and latex-based paints. It is recommended that Ride-On be installed in aluminum or powder-coated rims.

Complete Service Bulletin http://www.ride-on.com/pdf/Ride-OnCorro ... 030504.pdf

·
Registered
537 Posts
well that pretty much covers all the bases.... and addresses the things others may have seen or heard about in recent years....

i bought a case so ive got plenty to put in the next sets of tires i tend
to wear out on my beast ;-)

its nice to ride with peace of mind.......

thanks GL05 for finding those details 8)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I read all their stuff also, used it in several tires/wheels; but after the last tire was removed and it is all crystalized/bonded to the center part of the wheel I don't think I'll use it again.

I've got some work ahead of me to clean this wheel up!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: re:ride-on

mark05 said:
mark in mesa arizona here. i put ride-on into both of my tires on my bike and it did not prevent a flat on the rear from a nail right in the middle of the tread area. when i had the tires replaced the stuff had turned into glop that resembled cottage cheese and the shop had one hell of a time getting it off of the rims. it did not just wash off with water. what a mess! never again, but best of luck to those with a better experience with the stuff.
btw, it did etch the inner surface of the wheels, but not enough to cause any problems or safety concerns.
Very closely duplicates my experience. I won't be using it again.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Re: re:ride-on

The Rackerberian said:
mark05 said:
Very closely duplicates my experience. I won't be using it again.
If your compressor, or the dealers compressor isn't putting in DRY air, the moisture in the air can cause the corrosion. If you can wash it out with water, then moisture in the air isn't a good thing. I've used Ride On and haven't had any corrosion problems, but I did have a tire that had a nice nail in it and I was able to ride it back home and get the tire replaced.

I suspect that the installation procedures may not have been followed in every case, and that some of this might be "URBAN MYTH". I would really like to see some photos of the "GOOP" and corrosion that Ride-On supposedly causes.

I just did a re-order and will gladly put it in my new stones when I get them mounted.

FRED H: you make good video's, but do you have FIRST HAND experience with Ride ON? Are you sure that it was installed properly according to the instructions? The several cases of corrosion you cite, and the fact that it can't be plugged or repaired... is this first hand experience also or just hearsay that you're passing along? The only reason I ask is that with your standing in the GL1800 community, your word is "THE WORD", so I'm sure before you would trash a product that has a very public record of performance, you would have extensively documented first hand knowledge of the problems.

I'm not attacking Fred H, I'm just asking about his "first hand" experiences.
-----------------------------
Here's an excerpt of an email I received from Mark Farkhan, one of the honcho's at Inovex Industries:

Ride-On TPS has been used in more than 40,000 motorcycle
applications and 250,000 over the road commercial applications. Furthermore,
Ride-On TPS has been independently tested by the world's leading testing
facility to be non-corrosive. We do not know what may have caused the
corrosion in the rims of the few people that have complained. These people
are all do it yourself installers. When mounting their rims, they may have
used home made soap and water based mounting compounds that are known to be
very corrosive. Also, if they used a portable compressor, all the water that
is generated during the compression of air is pumped into the tire. The
extra water not only contaminates Ride-On and causes it to fall apart, but
also is very corrosive. The water contained in Ride-On is stabilized with
corrosion inhibitors and binders. Ride-On has also been formulated to wash
out with free water. If these users pumped water in their tires, then they
contaminated the product and caused the corrosion. By the way, even without
Ride-On, water in those rims would cause corrosion. There are thousands of
cases of rims that have corrosion and pitting without the use of any
sealants. In fact wheel reconditioning and powder coating is a huge
business.

----------- END EXCERPT--------------------

For anyone that wants to order TPS, you can use my motorcycle sites 10% discount code. If you use just the code, I get nothing, you get the discount.

Just type "sabrehood" in the discount/coupon box when you place your order and save 10%.

Matt Caswell
www.thesabrehood.org

1 - 20 of 25 Posts