GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was traveling south on I 29 out side of Sioux Fall I saw the sight of a bike on its side on the shoulder of the road.

As many of you would I started looking for the rider to see if I could offer assistance.

I noticed a little way down the road a couple vehicles pulled over, slowly approaching them I noticed a small trailer that was smashed up.

The trailer was carrying the bike, the trailer came off of the vehicle that was towing it.

now the guy has a big problem, his bike is broke and he doesnt have a trailer to put it on!

you got my point now huh?

yes

if he was riding the bike it would probably be just fine right now, now he is probably upset thinking he should have had a better trailer.

I did have my heart sink when I first saw the bike, then I couldnt help laughing.

trailer week in South Dakota

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I'm not sure what your point is? You think it's funny that the guy has problems??:shrug:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Can't believe you would laugh at someone else's misfortune...........:shrug:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what your point is? You think it's funny that the guy has problems??:shrug:

the point was if he would have rode it , he may still be riding it. trailer week or bike week???

why do we own motorcycles?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Go back and read his entire post again, then think about what is going on in that part of the USA this week, then get out your dictionary and look up the word irony.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
the point was if he would have rode it , he may still be riding it. trailer week or bike week???

why do we own motorcycles?
Well to ride them. I have over 90,000 on my wing and 50,000 on my FJR, I also have owned my fair share of other motorcycles in the last thirty plus years. I started to trailer my bikes to my destination two years ago. More time at my destination and rested. Still I.don't care what others do. I also don't think I would ever delight in someone else's misfortune.

GO BIG RED......Love the Huskers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work in Sioux Falls, I live in Omaha. that being said I have noticed the increased trailer traffic this past week.
I said my heart sank when I saw the bike on the ground. I feel bad for the guy

it is funny to me that people trailer their bikes to a ralley.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ah......higher moral ground! Careful........the view is good, but it can be quite a long way down if you fall.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think I understand the point of this post. He thinks it's funny (strange) to be towing a motorcycle to a motorcycle event. This is a relatively new phenomenon and I have observed the same in Laconia, Lake George, and particularly Daytona.

We ride 12,000+ miles per year on our motorcycles, but we still tow them over long distances. My wife cannot (will not) ride for hundreds of miles a day, she does not do well in the heat or cold, we do not camp, and we hate motels. So we pulled our motorcycles with a motor home for years and now with a toy hauler. I'd prefer to be doing 600 mile days on the motorcycle, but that's not going to happen when the two of us travel together.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ralley weeks at Sturgis

I don't think any harm was ment. If you live any where near Sturgis in the early part of August you see a lot of bike being riden and trailered to the ralley. What a lot find funny, like the movie Wild Hogs, you see a lot of possers. Guys drive their big motothome, towing beautiful bike looking like a lawyer. After they come out of the motor home they look like Hells Angles. ...............Ok I find it kinda funny.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think I understand the point of this post. He thinks it's funny (strange) to be towing a motorcycle to a motorcycle event. This is a relatively new phenomenon and I have observed the same in Laconia, Lake George, and particularly Daytona.

We ride 12,000+ miles per year on our motorcycles, but we still tow them over long distances. My wife cannot (will not) ride for hundreds of miles a day, she does not do well in the heat or cold, we do not camp, and we hate motels. So we pulled our motorcycles with a motor home for years and now with a toy hauler. I'd prefer to be doing 600 mile days on the motorcycle, but that's not going to happen when the two of us travel together.
I, too, understand the point. I also understand, as many others do, that there are many reasons for trailering your bike.....such as the one mentioned above. Judgements should, IMHO, be withheld until one "walks a mile" in the shoes of the other. I, too, have trailered my bike to Spearfish (not during the rally) and then my wife and I had a wonderful week riding that area. No apologies offered, as we could not have done it differently at the time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Dad has a bumper sticker. "Silly yuppie, trailers are for boats!" :lol:

But... I could see trailering my bike someplace that we wanted to ride at but didn't want to ride all the way there. We are planning a trip to Seattle and talked about possibly trailering the Wing up there. But just as fast we talked ourselves out of it. We bought it to ride, and ride we will.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Seeing anyones bike on the ground isn't as funny as this picture.:thumbup:

Yeah yeah I know it's a custom bike on it's way to/from a bike show,but nonetheless it's still funny to see a Wing tow a Harley.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
As I was traveling south on I 29 out side of Sioux Fall I saw the sight of a bike on its side on the shoulder of the road.

As many of you would I started looking for the rider to see if I could offer assistance.

I noticed a little way down the road a couple vehicles pulled over, slowly approaching them I noticed a small trailer that was smashed up.

The trailer was carrying the bike, the trailer came off of the vehicle that was towing it.

now the guy has a big problem, his bike is broke and he doesnt have a trailer to put it on!

you got my point now huh?

yes

if he was riding the bike it would probably be just fine right now, now he is probably upset thinking he should have had a better trailer.

I did have my heart sink when I first saw the bike, then I couldnt help laughing.

trailer week in South Dakota
Bikes are for riding, boats are for trailers.......If you can't ride there, don't go!!:shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts