GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be in Albuquerque for the annual balloon festival this October and need information on area rides. The plans are to visit the balloon festival from the first Saturday thru Thursday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday will be dedicated to the festival, on Monday we will explore the city of Albuquerque and on Tuesday will visit Santa Fe with a possible ride on the way there. Wednesday will be a ride north to Taos and Angel Fire, and any other suggestions you might have. We will leave Albuquerque Thursday and head south to visit Ruidoso and on to Carlsbad to visit the caverns, then start for home on Saturday morning.

Here is what I am seeing so far, feel free to comment on any or all roads/routes:

25 to Las Vegas, 434 to 64 to Taos, or Las Vegas to Taos via 518
Curious about 63 from Pecos into Santa Fe NF
550 to 125 to 4 to 501 (is 501 paved or gravel?) to 502 into Los Alamos and on to 285 back to Santa Fe/ Albuquerque. Might do this ride the day we visit Santa Fe.

Going south it looks like 25 to 380 to 37/48 to Ruidoso is the way to go. Is Sunspot Hwy paved going further into Lincoln NF? Looks like a good road if it is, would have to backtrack to 130 and then catch the 24 loop back to 82 to Artesia and south to Carlsbad.

Any and all comments will be appreciated, also any local knowledge on eating places would help. Particularly interested in type of roads: good/bad, scenic, don't bother, try this instead, etc. And if there are any must see roads/ sites close by please include that as well. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
First question, do you prefer to ride 2 lanes or the interstates? If you are interested in going to Taos/Angel Fire, there are several routes and I might be albe to provide you some suggestions. Check out I- 25 north from ABQ to SR 44 north toward Cuba then you have the opition of heading east toward Taos on several two lane roads which are all good riding thru beautiful country. If you check out a map and have questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you. Also, heading South to Ruidoso I always try and use the 2 lane but south on I-25 to SR 380 and 48 into Ruidoso, it's a pretty drive and little traffic. Check them out and let me know. I live in Santa Fe if you need anything around here.....John

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply John. I ride 4 lanes to get places and don't really mind it at all but prefer the 2 lanes when joy riding around an area. I'm mostly looking for scenery since photography is another of my hobbies. We like to ride in the mountains, hike, look through old towns, etc. Also like bridges, waterfalls, and landmarks. We will be going to Taos and Angel Fire and have started looking at alternate ways of getting there. We will probably ride north out of Albuquerque a couple of days so will be able to take different routes each time. We can usually handle 300+ mile days if we don't stop to smell too many roses, a 10 hour day is usually not a problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You may want to take a look at HWY 64 between Taos and HWY 84,once your reach HWY 84 in Tierra Amarilla, you can go south toward Cuba and back to I-25 on HWY 44. I have done that route in both directions and it is well worth the ride. When you are in Taos, you can make the circle through Angel Fire, Questa and back toward Taos, that is a good ride as well. Good luck and ride safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts