GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are taking off on August 22, we will be leaving from Oklahoma headed to Grand Junction Co. The plan now is to go thru Dumas, then up 25. Any tips on the trip from there to Grand Junction would be appreciated. From Grand Junction we plan on heading to Yosemite then over to 99 (Madera Ca). Any tips for that leg of the journey would be appreciated. By the way just retired (35 years teaching) so time is not an issue, snow might be (not sure how the Goldwing and trailer would react). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Go to the Rockies Gold website (rockies-gold.net) and look at what Wingnutzz' has put together, it's worth 10 times the price of admission. There are a lot of maps and other information on that website. Hwy 12 out of Trinidad and Pikes Peak are good choices. US 24 is another option for taking a northern route and will get you through several good areas. Hwy 50 across to Montrose has some good riding. Once you get to Montrose the options are endless. You can't find a bad place to ride in Colorado, when you get to a fork in the road, take it, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you planning on taking US 287 out of Dumas? There is a lot of road construction because they are making that road a 4 lane highway to Raton NM.

I would suggest taking the Toas loop in NM and then cut up into Colorado. Be aware though, there was a lot of forest fires earlier this summer so the southern part of Colorado and Northern part of NM may be sorched earth scenery.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
85 Posts
I live about 12 miles from you and I've been over every road there is from here to Grand Junction.PM me or email me with your ph.no. and we'll get a map out,with a cup of coffee and maybe I can help. Ditchdigger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts