GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Reno area there is a lake, Pyramid Lake, that has an island that is shaped like a pyramid (what a coincidence). On November 6, 1966 right at sundown the sun set exactly at the V-ridge of a mountain. The resulting effect was to light only the pyramid.

I want to take some photo's of it this year but want to make sure I have the correct day. It was 40 years ago, so with one added day (leap year) every 4 years I think I need to subtract 10 days from the original date, or October 26th.

Is that a correct way of deciding on the ride day, or is the leap year adjustment unnecessary?

Thanks to any help on this one.

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shuckaduck said:
Check it for 10 days :lol: Don't forget the pics How ya doin Pat?
Heey Tim. Doing great, thanks. The everyday for 10 days has crossed my mind. Just hate to get caught up in something and miss the one day it happens.

Pat

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
The purpose of leap year/days is to keep our calendar in alignment with celestial happening. So, if things are happening correctly, the same sun alignment event should take place on the same date. Check with a good alamanac and the dates of the solstices for the past few years. From that you should be able to see if any adjustment of calendar dates is necessary. But it won't be more than a day on either side. Surely won't be 10 days.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm with CJ on this one. The leap years are there to 'adjust' our paper calender to make it coincide with nature's. It might vary a minute or so per day, but you should be able to get the same picture on any day within a few day window of your date. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
A quick search on the net found this: http://plpt.nsn.us/index.html

Evidently Pyramid Lake is completely within the tribal reservation of the Pyramid Lake Paiute tribe.

You might want to write or e-mail them and see if they have some information on this phenomena.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks TJ,

I know Ben the museum curatore and he knows of the phenom, but has no exact date, and asked me to let him know once I found out.

An amazing place, wild life, caves, lava formations and the bluest water I've seen. I have a call to our meterologist Ron for help and hope to hear back soon.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts