GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i started out at 0400 hrs this morning of course wearing my shorts and no jacket. I headed up 281 and it never got out of the 50's low 60's most of the day today. I about froze. Anyway i ended up just south of Salida, Kansas 750 miles from my house 12 1/2 hours later. I only had one thing happen on the way up. I passed a bunch of buzzards on the side of the road doing about 70mph. I always crinch when i pass them in the past and they always seem to fly out of my way. Today he flew up at the last minute wings spread out and collided with my bike and lodged in the forks. I started spitting feathers out of my mouth and i looked down and i could see him lodged in my forks. I found a place to pull off and when i hit the brakes it dislodged him in front of my bike. He was still alive but luckily i did not get injured nor my bike. I got 277 more miles to go tomorrow. I usually start honking my horn and try to scare them away before i get even with them.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
WOW!! Marvin you are a fortunate man . So glad you didn't wreck your bike and got hurt or worse . Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful and safe. Have fun.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Perhaps you should change your forum name to "Roadkill Warrior" (I know, just offal eh?)>:)

But I'm actually more interested in WHY you want to go to Omaha? It's about 2 hrs from me and I've never felt the urge (other than to bypass it on 680 on the way west to the Rockies).

Maybe the vulture is a sign....:surprise:

But at least now you know how to feather the clutch....:grin2:

Glad you're still upright:wink2:

·
Administrator
3,728 Posts
Marvin, glad you're OK but I agree that buzzards scare me. Drive safely! I don't know when you are coming back but I expect to be in San Antonio first part of next week.

Glen

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Glad it worked out for you and you're ok!
Never know what you're gonna get out there.

Hope for safe travels.

Donnie

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Holy moly, Marvin, that's scary, but I'm glad you're okay. Too bad you couldn't keep the bird, because it would have been a tasty treat for Glockjock's next RTE.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im headed to my grandson's baseball championship games for friday and saturday. I will be at the Hilton gardens hotel on chicago ave for 3 nights and head out sunday morning back south. Looks like i might to endure some more rain on the way home. Cool weather up hear, love it. Glen i should be home Monday evening i understand he is back in the hospital.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, this explains your handle of, "Wild Turkey." I always thought you were identifying with the whiskey. Since the proper name for a buzzard is Turkey Vulture, now we know! Glad this event turned out well for you, sir!

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dang Marvin be careful, I am like everyone else I cringe when I see them hanging around on the side of the road. We may have to start calling you "Ole Buzzard"...lol

Reactions: Phydeaux and Yoda
1 - 10 of 10 Posts