GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's all PODO's fault! He called me this morning asking if we'd like to do a ride-to-ride. Turns out he's talking about the Leadville Colorado and Southern Railroad in Leadville. It's been on my bucket list for years, so here goes...

Meet at the Golden Burro Restaurant, 710 Harrison Ave. Leadville, CO 80461 (719) 486-1239 at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday June 26 for breakfast. Followed by riding the train. The depot is at 326 E. 7th Street in Leadville. I talked to the ticket agent today and she assured me that tickets will be available at the depot. Tickets are $32.50 per person. If you are going to ride the train but not meet for vittles, pick up your tickets by 9:30. The train departs at 10:00 a.m. for a 2 1/2 hour ride through the mountains above Leadville over toward Climax.

From our house in Denver, it's about a 2.5 hour ride out I-70, so we will be leaving the house around 6:00 a.m. Anyone who wants to ride up with us can meet in the El Rancho parking lot off I-70 exit 252. KSU at 6:45 a.m. Let me know if you will be meeting there, otherwise, we'll just ride on by.

All Aboard.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Riding a train through the Colorado back country is something that everyone should try at least once.

You will see country that you cannot see any other way except maybe on foot.

Sunday is looking like it's going to be another (ho-hum) beautiful Colorado day...

Motorcycle riding and a train trip through the snow capped Rocky Mountains with great friends.
I am blessed beyond belief!

El Rancho it is.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Dang I'm in Chicago and will miss this one. :-(

Have fun and psot pix, fellers:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Dudes and Dudettes

WaYoo -- if every thing goes as planned I'll see you at El Rancho.

greg

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are so inclined, you can get train tickets online at theit site. See you folks on Sunday.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Sunday is looking like it's going to be another (ho-hum) beautiful Colorado day...
I really didn't mean to make this sound like it did. I apologize.

It's just that it was another Beautiful Colorado day. We get more sunshine than the sunshine state!

And then to spend it in the way we did just topped it all off.

It turned out to be a ride to eat to ride to ride to ride to eat, a little convoluted but it came together nicely.

It started out with a group of Goldwingers completely ignoring all traffic laws and madly dashing across a Colorado state highway in the middle of downtown Leadville to get to breakfast.

Turns out that they needn't have bothered as while food was good, the service was less than stellar this time.

We got to the train on time and found that they used old converted molybdenum oar cars to haul us up and down the mountain.

There doesn't seem to be any lingering ephiks, efecs, efeks.... from the exposure to the molybdenum that was in the cars we were seated in.

Box car in the middle was a rolling gift shop, snack bar and portapotty. No, I'm not kidding.

On the way out of town we see Leadville's inaneasylum for the terminally inane.
Check out the barb wire surrounding the place, don't want anyone like that getting loose.
One of Colorado's largest industries is prisons.

As promised, we saw sights that could make you weep with their beauty.

And it just went on

And on

Everywhere you look.

Got back to the train station and was met by Bingo who came over Independence Pass from Aspen to meet us for lunch.
He told us of a great place down in BV so we all headed that way for some really good food (and service) and had a great time.

We headed out our separate ways afterwards in anticipation of another perfect Colorado ride soon.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Good friends, good time. Bingo is a character, wouldn't talk to me on the c/b what's up with that?

Sorry I abandon you all on the way back. I was going to go and capture PingJockey's photo at Eleven mile and I blow right by the exit. When i got to Wooodland Park I remembered. Oh well. Still had a great time.

later
greg

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
I was going to go and capture PingJockey's photo at Eleven mile and I blow right by the exit.
My daughter and I went that way and did the same thing just a week ago heading for Terryall creek road...

What's up with that?

I thought that it would be an easy shot to get.

PingJockey must have done something to make it more difficult.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PingJockey must have done something to make it more difficult.
Wouldn't want you guys to have too easy of a time. After all, I headed up the wrong road out of the town of Lake George the first time. You will get it in time.

Looks like just the three of us are playing this game. Maybe they are too easy. :?:

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Larry,
There outta be a Law!

You guys have just TOO MUCH FUN! :wrong:
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I can't believe I've never heard of this (train ride). Granted, I haven't been to Leadville for a few years, but I used to go there a few times a year to mountain bike on various sections of the Colorado Trail.

Sounds like a great trip. Sorry I missed this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts