GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yep... I have. There are others nearby that are cool too..... verde canyon RR just south of Sedona.... and the Durango/Silverton in S/W Colorado (the best of the 3).

Lot of fun.... you can get packages that include lodging at either the south rim or Williams (including meals too).

Larry

·
Registered
686 Posts
I did the Durango ride. It was a wonderful experience. We rode the Parlor car in the back. It was a nice break to spend a day off the bike and get a change.

Takes me back.... summer 1965... the family Dodge station wagon with the five kids and our parents, driving from LA to Colorado Springs to take my brother to his 4th class year at the Air Force Academy.

Still remember parts of the ride (side trip) in the train. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you do the Durango train, do the half day. The all day is a bit much or was for my wife and I. 8 hrs going 20 mph is too long when 4 of it is looking at the same stuff. Sounds kinda funny coming from a farmer who has spent most of his life at 6 mph don't it?:wrong:

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Information...

Thank you one and ALL!!

Matt(BCNV) :lol:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
We did the Grand Canyon RR last year and loved it. We stayed at the RR hotel also and found it to be very nice. We rode in the last train car, which costs the most, but is the best. especially liked standing on the rear platform and watching the world go by.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I did the Durango ride. It was a wonderful experience. We rode the Parlor car in the back. It was a nice break to spend a day off the bike and get a change.

I saw this train in Silverton a week ago. It was cool to hear the whistle echo off of the mountains.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Only train ride we took was a Canadian rail trip from the upper U.P of Michigan.

It was ok..... but there's so many pines trees up there so close to the tracks,
for 8 hours that's all you seen was pine trees flying by with occasional clearing.

I was on a troupe train in the service coming home for Christmas many years ago from Ft. Lewis Washington to Wisconsin. That was nice because there was more "open" space.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Daylight,
Takes me back.... summer 1965... the family Dodge station wagon with the five kids and our parents, driving from LA to Colorado Springs to take my brother to his 4th class year at the Air Force Academy.
Were you the one seating on the backseat going "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet." :joke:

·
Registered
154 Posts
http://www.thetrain.com/

Anybody ever taken this?

Looks nice....

Matt(BCNV) :cool:
Yes.

It is nice. Ours was steam, and had a few surprises along the route.

We've also done the Durango/Silverton, Cripple Creek, and Royal Gorge, among many others. If there is a train ride anywhere within riding distance of where we are touring, we are on it.

If you like trains, and model railroads, Pennsylvania is REALLY the place to be.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Only way to get into the Grand Canyon without having to deal with the traffic on a summer holiday weekend. Me and my 2 daughters have done this a couple times. Stayed at the RR Hotel the night before. Rode in on Saturday. Stayed at the canyon that night. Rode back out on Sunday.

Plenty of shuttle buses in the Grand Canyon and we were able to take plenty of lesurely walks to enjoy the views. Air is thinner at the rims.

And the one time they had shut down the entrance gate on the South Rim because they had too many people trying to get in. Easy.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
GREAT THREAD!:thumbup:

PODO, Thanks for all the links. If I had enough money, I'd Ride every one of 'em.:1st:

I am SO looking forward to Rocky's Gold 2011...
and so sad that our friends from NZ (Edwin & Janet) can't attend.
:wrong:
thecruiser

·
Registered
686 Posts
Daylight,

Were you the one seating on the backseat going "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet." :joke:
Actually, I wasn't. :lol:

I was in the back seat (rear facing) at times, playing games like Trip Bingo, "Between the Sheets" with road signs, and just watching the scenery pass by... writing notes in the trip diary (still remember it -- little, orange cover, spiral bound notebook) on things like where we were and noting the number of engines and cars on the trains that we passed along the way, and enjoying the excitement of the first long-distance trip that I could remember.

Two of my elder sibs, OTOH....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I hope that that railroad has a restricted slow speed order out looks as if the harmonic rocking motions of the cars will only get worse with speed

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Rode steam train from durango to silverton morning one way, took the bus back and then road the wild road back the next morning on the wings. Ride very careful there are NO GUARDRAILS and its about a 1/2 mile almost streight down... Beautiful.... D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts