GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I will be attending WingDing next week and the attached google map is a FUN ride I've planned for next Thursday.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209749914827755990398.0004a0bbce888b71182bd&msa=0

I would like to know if this is a good route, good roads, will be FUN, etc...

Are there other roads that I am missing that I should include or remove?

Thanks for your help...

I hope I didn't open a can of worms :eek:4:... Just thought I'd get some local assistance.

Thanks in advance.

David W.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Good route but most likely will be covered up with bikes during Wing Ding.

·
Registered
521 Posts
TN/NC Ride

I like the route. I'd suggest from Robbinsville, take Hwy 129 north and ride the Dragon. You won't regret it. I'm leaving the Atlanta area on the morning of the 6th and head to Walhalla, SC and ride the Moonshiner 28 (Hwy 28) up to the Dragon and then on into Knoxville. See you there.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I was just up there for the SMRI ride.

You are soooo close to the foothill parkway (between Chilhowee and Walland) in TN, that I would include that as a route some how too. It was cool and shady and not too twisty. Very enjoyable. There were very few cars if any last Wednesday when we were on it....It also had a few scenic parking areas to rest and take pictures....

Hwy 28 off of Hwy 74 (just west of Bryson City) to or from Franklin is a bugger of a twisty road as well for a good portion of it if you like twisties...

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That part from Cherokee to Gatlinburg is beautiful but will be major crowded.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Also on 165 some people get into the rhythm of the nice sweeping turns and then get bit on there a** when all of a sudden they hit the hair pins and are not ready for them.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
If it were me, I'd try this loop instead.

Why?

1. You'd miss all the traffic congestion in Gatlinburg, the Smokies and Cherokee.
2. You'd be on twisty roads once you leave Maryville (TN 336 and Happy Valley Road are very entertaining).
3. You'd get to do the Dragon as well as the Cherohala.
4. You'd get to ride TN 360, which is fun in and of itself.
5. You'd get a nice, easy rural ride from Vonore to Lenoir City before getting back on the slab to Knoxville and, if you're lucky, maybe even see wimpyhonda while in Lenoir City.
6. You'd get to a route without backtracking.

I hate to sit in traffic (or behind slow-moving traffic on fun roads) so I stay away from any roads that will be crowded. That's why I never ride in the Park unless I'm going somewhere in the Park.

You'll have a great time which ever route you decide upon. Have fun.

Ride safely.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, Thanks everyone for the great replies and ideas. I will take all of them under consideration. This is what this site is all about.

Thanks again!!

David W.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ohhh yeah!!!!!

My wife and I went to the smokies as the first ride being back on a wing again and I have to second what Bob said. One of the days we rode we did pretty close to what he outlined and we had very little traffic and a great ride. You will not be disappointed.
:agree:
Jeff on 02 orange

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob,

I just wanted to Thank you again. I routed this trip for my friends and I when we where there. We rode it this past Thursday. What a great ride. THANKS again for the assistance and help.

Worked out perfectly. No RAIN either.

David W.

If it were me, I'd try this loop instead.

Why?

1. You'd miss all the traffic congestion in Gatlinburg, the Smokies and Cherokee.
2. You'd be on twisty roads once you leave Maryville (TN 336 and Happy Valley Road are very entertaining).
3. You'd get to do the Dragon as well as the Cherohala.
4. You'd get to ride TN 360, which is fun in and of itself.
5. You'd get a nice, easy rural ride from Vonore to Lenoir City before getting back on the slab to Knoxville and, if you're lucky, maybe even see wimpyhonda while in Lenoir City.
6. You'd get to a route without backtracking.

I hate to sit in traffic (or behind slow-moving traffic on fun roads) so I stay away from any roads that will be crowded. That's why I never ride in the Park unless I'm going somewhere in the Park.

You'll have a great time which ever route you decide upon. Have fun.

Ride safely.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
What a great ride. THANKS again for the assistance and help.

Worked out perfectly. No RAIN either.

David W.

:lol:;):lol:;)

Glad you had a good ride.

Enjoy safely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts