GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about Wednesday morning early to make it back to Denver before the T-storms?

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now.

-Elwood Blues

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Wednesday sounds great David! Haven't had a day out with the guys in a while.

How about Cache La Poudre Canyon. I'm good for any time, and agree about getting an early start. Any time after 6:00 is good for me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds great! We will meet at 6:45 a.m. Wednesday at Gunther Toody's Diner, just east of I-25 on Highway 7 the Erie exit #229. For your GPS, it's
16755 Washington St
Thornton, CO 80023

We'll have just coffee there, so we can get going, then lunch in Walden!

The idea would be to head from there to Granby, then Berthoud Pass, Idaho Springs, Highway 6 back to town before we get wet. But that is probably a pipe dream since Wednesday is scheduled for afternoon T-Storms.

Oh well, should be an adventure in any case!

Podo? Wine Emporer? Bueller? Anyone?:lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would love to join you guys, but have to call off as the Wine, Liquor and Beer drinkers of Lakewood would be disappointed if they couldn't imbibe. Always work Wednesday. Tuesday almost always works well for me. Guys,have a great ride!

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Bueller?, Bueller?

That sounds like an extremely awesome time!

Deanna and I just got back from making the loop from Bailey over Berthod thru RMNP and back down peak to peak on Saturday.

A really great ride even with the weekend traffic. And strangely enough it wasn't that awful going thru the park, but it usually isn't going from west to east.
Should have seen the line waiting to get in on the Estes side..

Sadly I have to do that nasty four letter "W" word until I'm 90 and can retire (maybe).

Ya'll have a great time and enjoy the ride up the Poudre as it ought to be just about perfect!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice new avatar!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
See you there David. Anyone else coming that you know of?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just my friend Greg from Louisville. looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Could you join us if we do? It would be great to see you again, Don. That is a good ride.

2,732 Posts
I'd play hooky if you do

I could join you to Walden for lunch, then turn back and return to Loveland while you guys go on to Denver. Any idea when you might come thru Loveland? BTW, I just ordered a new Scorpion X900 with J&M 626 headsets about an hour ago. Won't be here until the weekend I guess but I'm pretty darn excited that I might get a helmet that actually fits and doesn't destroy my ears after an hour of riding.

Don't change your plans for me.....I may not be able to join you at the last minute depending on phone calls between now and then.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
CD, we can get to your house at around 7:45. I'll give you a call just before we leave the meeting place to coordinate. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

2,732 Posts
After ride report

After the ride report: Ping Jockey, Dave in Denver and Greg (from Louisville) arrived at my house right on schedule at 7:45 am in Loveland. We took Hwy 34 to the Glade Road cut off and rode the Stove Prairie road which includes many twisties and uphill curves on relatively great newer blacktop. If you use mulitple gears and an application of front and rear brakes, it is possible to reach the Poudre Canyon a good 5 minutes ahead of your companion riders. However, the brakes sure were smoking. We passed the Masonville Store where, Dave said that Greg buys his "Pirate outfits" (he rides a Harley). We were able to discuss Gregs riding habits and outfits as he was the only one without a CB. Adding to the adventure was crossing 8 cattle guards and if you are not careful, they can catch you by surprise. Sliding sideways across cattle guards is a whole new experience that adds new dimenisions to a morning ride. Reaching the Poudre Canyon about midway between Fort Collins and Cameron Pass, we turned left and headed west into the prettiest blue sky we could ever hope for. We felt assured of blue skies and fair weather riding for the whole day. Cameron Pass worked it's magic on all of us as we each thanked God (quietly in our own way) for the beautiful state we live in. At Walden, we made a decision to turn left, follow the road less traveled (or not taken/Robert Frost)

The Road Not Taken
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5 Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same, 10 And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back. 15 I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence:Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. ROBERT FROST

And rode under blue skies to Grand Lake where we had lunch under a outdoor umbrella and were waited upon by a cute gal from Hungary (okay!!!:22yikes:). After having refills on our awesome iced tea (enjoyed by all 4 of us) and polishing off burgers, pepper soup, incinerated Salmon (Greg) and no desert (thank you). We were led by yours truely to a wrong turn.....okay, I admit it, you should not be following me in the first place, to the start of Trail Ridge road. We thought we could sneak Greg thru with David's Senior Pass :)twisted:) but the ticket gal was having none of it and I noticed quite few greenbacks changing hands before they would admit Greg, probably had something to do with his Harley :shrug:. The rest of the trip was enjoyed, how can you not like riding over Trail Ridge Road, and down into Estes Park. We did enjoy watching a couple riding in front of us who rode the center line and sometimes on the other side of center line as they crawled their way over the top. We weren't sure if it was the rider or the passenger that was directing the location in the road but entertaining none the less. The day ended with just enough rain drops to cool the afternoon and to move some of the bug stuff to the side of the windshield. WE HAD A GREAT TIME AND A GREAT RIDE, WISH YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Very good ride report CD. We all had a great time. As requested by PODO here are a few photos.

Ride meeting at Canyon Dancers Home:
CD, Greg & David

Taking a stretch at Cameron Pass

Along Trail Ridge Road

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Great pics!!!

Thanks Larry!

Sounds like ya'll had an excellent time.

Nice report Don, sure sounds like you guys had a nice ride.

Only 8 cattle guards? I thought there was more..

A couple of them at the apex of the curves they're in really get your attention if you're blasting through those curves!

Maybe next time!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks like you had a great ride. Seems like all I've been doing is attending funeral services of relatives. I hope the trend ends soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts