GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several threads and responses lately about all kinds of balancing methods and "to plug or not to plug"
Touters and Naysayers about RideOn.
Mess to clean up (Not)
Corroded my wheels(won't)
Plugs won't stay in(One doesn't use plugs)
Globbed up (no proof,as in pics)
Well I thought maybe since a picture is worth a thousand words, a movie or 2 might leave one speechless:

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
for some reason they did not show any good pictures of the rideon coated rim

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Because it doesn't coat the rim:thumbup: Centrifugal force makes it disburse around the inside of the tire.
True, it does not coat the rim. I just changed both front and rear tires prior to my last trip. The Ride On coating stayed on the inside of the tire, and no coating on the rim. I've used Ride On for years, plus am a firm believer in the product. Also, when I had the tire store mount the tires, I asked the owner his opinion of Ride On. He said that it looked like a good product, although he is not a motorcyclist, and normally works on car tires.

Thanks for posting the YouTube demo!!

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as everyone reads and understands what it will seal and the area of coverage, there should be no questions about it!

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
tfdeputydawg;

Not wanting to rile you or to question your judgement. I am sure you believe in this product, but my personal experieces were vastly different from the advertisements shown.

Several threads and responses lately about all kinds of balancing methods and "to plug or not to plug"
Touters and Naysayers about RideOn.

Mess to clean up (Not)
It was definitley a mess to clean up. I had to use detergent and water as well as a coarse ScotchBrite pad to scrape the dried-out jelly boogers off of my internal rims.

Corroded my wheels(won't) It has been a while since I used it, but I don't think the rims were corroded, just fouled with tough splatterings of a material not unlike cured contact cement.

Plugs won't stay in(One doesn't use plugs) Well, in this one's case, it was either plug or walk. The RideOn failed to seal a rather small puncture in the middle of the tread. The sticky rope did seal the puncture and held for quite some time, but did not vulvanize to the rubber as it normally would have.

Globbed up (no proof,as in pics) I wish I had taken pics, I just don't use a camera eventhough my phone supposedly has a camera in it, or so my kids tell me. But, surely you have seen previous posting on this site were pics of the fouled rims were shown; I am pretty sure I have seen them.

I wish the RideOn product I put in my two bikes would have set-up like that shown in the infomercials you provided. It was much runnier and evidently dripped away from the tire surfaces when parked and fell down upon the internal rims. Clots of it got cured, the major portion of it was sort of the consistency of Karo syrup or thinner -- mule snot. I purchased my producat directly from RideOn and it was the motorcycle product. Milky white in cylinder shaped squeeze bottles that I injected into new tires after they were run in and the tires had no mounting lube in them. Maybe they had a bad batch of product? Other folks back them were complaining too. I just don't know if I could convince myself to try it again. Glad it works for you. I hope it now works for everyone.

prs

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3427849#post3427849

Bulldog.. I didnt believe in the beginning as well. Once it cost me to buy a new rear wheel I posted pictures and all I got was grief...... I was lucky, all I had to buy was new rear wheel which I picked up on Ebay new from a trike shop for about 75 dollars with shipping. If I hadnt been able to save my front wheel it would have cost me 300 plus.

I applaud you if you do post the pics but know up front for many it will be blamed on using the wrong whatever on the bead mounting the tire, or the compressor was a creating too much water for the water soluble product or its not the same brand they use and they can tell by the color of the gobs of corrossion in the photos. Heck it may even be someone held their tonque wrong when it was installed but it won't be the fault of the product.

My photos are after exstensive wire brushing by hand.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/jo ... 110011.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/jo ... 110014.jpg

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is needed, I think I've asked before, is info from the manufacturer as to the cause of the "stuff" shown on the wheels.
I thought one of the posters was going to converse w/RideOn over this(which we were wondering if extreme high ambient temps had anything to do with it or moisture inside with the RideOn product).
Waited for quite a while, never heard anymore from the complainers, so I assumed it wasn't the RideOn causing the problem.
Maybe one of you that has had the problems talked about and shown would now communicate w/RideOn so we can get to the cause, please.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ride-on

I like Pigeon roost had the stuff run all over the place,rims ,tire was covered from bead to bead...Guy the put my tires on said it was easy to clean off but it made a hell of a mess!!! I used it in my brdg stns for about 10,000 miles and It was really smooth,ran a dbl headed nail in the rear and it tore the tire so bad ride-on didn't work but it did let me get to work and start home before it went flat..... I don't think I'm going to use it in my new tires....I have e-mailed Ride- on and so far no responce...I thought it would look like it does in there video I might continue to use it but its like they said its more like STP than what ride - on is showing.....I've been riding for around 45 years and I willing to try new things but if there misrepresented then I'm out!!!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What is needed, I think I've asked before, is info from the manufacturer as to the cause of the "stuff" shown on the wheels.
I thought one of the posters was going to converse w/RideOn over this(which we were wondering if extreme high ambient temps had anything to do with it or moisture inside with the RideOn product).
Waited for quite a while, never heard anymore from the complainers, so I assumed it wasn't the RideOn causing the problem.
Maybe one of you that has had the problems talked about and shown would now communicate w/RideOn so we can get to the cause, please.
Pretty good product I suppose, if you own your own compressor and blow it down once in awhile.

It does seal a part of the tire, but only the actual road contact center rib part, and not the roll over tread. So it is a 50/50 chance that nail will penetrate the tire in the center area.

How does the stuff eat up the rims, easy enough, air has moisture in it and if you fill a tire at a gas station, or with a compressor that has a lot of moisture in it, it does dilute the product, so that it does not gell like it should. So at each stop and at slow speeds it does fall unto the rim and coat that. Then it eats into the aluminum.

There are also two formulations of the stuff, one is made for motorcycles one is not. The one for cars will eat the rims, the one formulated for motorcycles they say will not eat the aluminum rims. Do not know if it will or not.

I simply looked at the area covered and decided , why go through all this mess, for a two inch center strip , it was a challenge to get it into the tire, it has some kind of fiberglass cut strands in it and even heating the stuff up in the sink and trying to put it through the valve stem, I thought I was going to have to go find one of those girls with all those muscles to help. :joke:

It was the best known way at the time, now it has been left behind. The Centramatic have taken over. As far as cost, Ride On is an expensive thing too, it is what, about 12 bucks a tire?? Might be more now. So over the life of modern ways, it would actually over the life of the bike cost more than modern means.

The stuff I used, was the motorcycle specific one, I did not have it in there long, Used it twice, for two sets of tires, rims were not corroded, but they were discolored. And the last time as I had used gas station compressors to check the tire pressures, yes there was water in the tire, just a tiny bit, but it did not absorb into the product, it would roll around the surface of it, dilute some of it and get unto the rim. I think this caused the deterioration of the rim. Or in my case discoloration, and if left longer most likely would have ate up the rim.

But my rims said made in Thailand on them.........:evil:

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty good product I suppose, if you own your own compressor and blow it down once in awhile.

It does seal a part of the tire, but only the actual road contact center rib part, and not the roll over tread. So it is a 50/50 chance that nail will penetrate the tire in the center area.
While true it does only protect a certain area, I am inclined to believe a vast majority of punctures are in that area and not 1/2 in the "roll over" area.

How does the stuff eat up the rims, easy enough, air has moisture in it and if you fill a tire at a gas station, or with a compressor that has a lot of moisture in it, it does dilute the product, so that it does not gel like it should. So at each stop and at slow speeds it does fall unto the rim and coat that. Then it eats into the aluminum.
Good possibility here. However, I still await a response from RideOn about this very question.

There are also two formulations of the stuff, one is made for motorcycles one is not. The one for cars will eat the rims, the one formulated for motorcycles they say will not eat the aluminum rims. Do not know if it will or not.
That is a very a good point. I am puzzled by the fact I have never heard of a truck driver complaining about RideOn corroding his aluminum rims???

I simply looked at the area covered and decided , why go through all this mess, for a two inch center strip
Because, as previously stated, that is the area that suffers the vast majority of punctures.

, it was a challenge to get it into the tire, it has some kind of fiberglass cut strands in it
I have never seen any fiberglass strands in the RideOn I've used????
I have a clamp I use to squeeze the bottle
and even heating the stuff up in the sink and trying to put it through the valve stem, I thought I was going to have to go find one of those girls with all those muscles to help. :joke:

It was the best known way at the time, now it has been left behind. The Centramatic have taken over.
Centramatic is not a sealant??????
As far as cost, Ride On is an expensive thing too, it is what, about 12 bucks a tire?? Might be more now. So over the life of modern ways, it would actually over the life of the bike cost more than modern means.
True, if considered only as a balancer. Plugs would be considerable cheaper for punctures, I will grant that.

The stuff I used, was the motorcycle specific one, I did not have it in there long, Used it twice, for two sets of tires, rims were not corroded, but they were discolored. And the last time as I had used gas station compressors to check the tire pressures, yes there was water in the tire, just a tiny bit, but it did not absorb into the product, it would roll around the surface of it, dilute some of it and get unto the rim. I think this caused the deterioration of the rim. Or in my case discoloration, and if left longer most likely would have ate up the rim.
As stated, waiting on a response from RideOn on this.

Thanks for you post. I do respect your and Fred H's knowledge on these bikes and items for them.
I find it very interesting, speaking of the different formulas of RideON, that I asked what should be used in the "car" tires/wheels on the rear of a trike. I find it very strange the response was they recommend the motorcycle formula for motorcycle trikes!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
At my house:

Crankcase... ONLY recommended oil.

Radiator... ONLY Honda brand coolant.

Tires... ONLY compressed air.

No Problems!!!

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In the cases where the product has dripped off of the tire and onto the rims, is it possible that the tire was not run for a period of time or was not allowed to heat up to operating temperature before the tire was allowed to 'sit up'? Unlike a 'plug' where you can install it and go back in the house and 'drink a cold one', I would think that this product would require heating prior to it 'vulcanizing' to the tire in a semi-solid state.

Just a thought........

·
Registered
262 Posts
My Experiance with Ride-on

How does the stuff eat up the rims, easy enough, air has moisture in it and if you fill a tire at a gas station, or with a compressor that has a lot of moisture in it, it does dilute the product, so that it does not gell like it should. So at each stop and at slow speeds it does fall unto the rim and coat that. Then it eats into the aluminum.

I simply looked at the area covered and decided , why go through all this mess, for a two inch center strip , it was a challenge to get it into the tire, it has some kind of fiberglass cut strands in it and even heating the stuff up in the sink and trying to put it through the valve stem, I thought I was going to have to go find one of those girls with all those muscles to help. :joke:

It was the best known way at the time, now it has been left behind. The Centramatic have taken over. As far as cost, Ride On is an expensive thing too, it is what, about 12 bucks a tire?? Might be more now. So over the life of modern ways, it would actually over the life of the bike cost more than modern means.

+++++++++++++++++
Good write up Kit:

I have been using Ride-On (Motorcycle Type) for several Years on my Venture 1200, Burgman 650, St1300, & Goldwing 1800 and not had these problems with my Cast Wheels.

I just removed my Front Tire to install a New Bridgestone G709 Tire and the Ride-On wiped off the Cast Wheel easily with a Rag and what was left in the Old Tire was still had a thick fluid like consistency. I am now using Centramatic Balancers on my Goldwing so have stopped using Ride-on on this Motorcycle. Next Tire Change on the ST1300 I will be switching to Dyna-Beads.

Next Tire Change on the Burgman I will be checking the Rims closely -- If OK will use up the eight Bottles of the stuff I have left, then switch to Dyna-Beads. Although this could take a long period as I run a Car Tire on the Burgman like I do on the Goldwing and these things run forever before needing replacement.

I did take a Motorcycle Tire off My Goldwing before I switched to a Car Tire and it had a lot of Miles left in it so I could not trash it. When I went to give it to a fellow Goldwing Rider needing one I noted that the Ride-on Stuff had hardened and had to be scraped off using a High Pressure Hose and elbow grease. I do not know for the life of me why it hardened when Tire was off the Motorcycle and stored in Basement for a Year but stayed Liquid like when mounted on Motorcycle?

My 2 Cents,

Ron

1 - 20 of 24 Posts