GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, they broke the ice with a question about how the passenger gets on so I feel safe asking something even more fundamental. How do the riders get on when the bike has extra tall Tulsa windshield and Utopia backrest. Here is why I ask.

I noticed :shock: that my left achilles tendon would hurt like heck the more frequently I ride. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what's going on to cause it. I changed out to Iso pegs and consciously positioned my foot so as not to tension the tendon as much. Then one evening while getting on the bike I figured out what the issue was. To get onto the bike I would kick my right leg up and over the seat to the far side...then a small hop with my left foot would reposition me further onto the seat allowing to finish getting on.

I'm a 300 pound fat boy with a 30 inch inseam. Besides the obvious New Years resolution, I would like to figure out if anyone has some better ways of getting the job done. That minimal hop is obviously stressing the achilles tendon to the max. The longer I ride in a day, the greater the pain at the end of the day when I finally sit back and relax.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
heres my plan

i think if you put the bike on the center stand, you could crawl on without hopping and hurting yourself.

its really not so hard to do, and would save your foot - leg parts from the extra stress.

loren

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
KZ said:
To get onto the bike I would kick my right leg up and over the seat to the far side...then a small hop with my left foot would reposition me further onto the seat allowing to finish getting on.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Consider trying it this way. Side stand down. Both feet on ground. Position right cheek of butt onto saddle. Move right leg over - IN FRONT OF YOU - i.e. your right heal goes over the gas cap. Get comfortable. Lift side stand.

That may look funny but could well work for you.

G

·
I've seen this method used successfully......

Bike on sidestand, Backrest flipped forward on to drivers seat...left foot on left peg, swing right leg over. When your right foot finds the right peg, reach behind you to bring the backrest to the "up" position as you lower yourself into a seated position.

It can be done quite fluidly after a couple of practice runs....

Ron
'03 Black ABS

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't forget KZ says he has the Tulsa Extra Tall shield. He will almost certainly bonk his head on the shield if he tries to get on using the left foot peg. :banghead:

When I got mine installed at WOTS Allen of Tulsa told me that the way KZ describes is the best to avoid the head bonk.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a little arthritis in my hip, I reach under my right knee, grab my leg and pull it up as high as I can and I just step over the seat. This works for me, I hope it helps.

Ronnie

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
May not be an option you like but I would consider getting rid of the head bonker and backrest as they sound like another large part of the problem. If you keep injuring the tendon the price could become quite high, maybe even end your 2 wheel fun.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. While the temperatures are much less than comfortable for riding, I've rolled the bike into the shop to add some gadgets. In the warmth of the shop I'll try each suggestion and find what works best for me.

The extra tall Tulsa windshield does add a bit more challenge but the benefits gained are outstanding. Riding at highway speeds in the cold I could actually see my breath in front of me. That is how calm the air is with the vent closed. Years of riding an '84 Aspencade got me in the practice of getting on without bonking my forehead.

I've given much thought to going to floorboards but brief rides on a HD don't have me convinced I would be happy with the heal and toe shifting. I guess you can get use to anything with more miles behind you.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mounting the Bike

Try mounting the bike from the high side. It sounds harder but it is not, and it is safer. Mounting from the right side will prevent tip-over and on the side of the road it keeps the bike between you and traffic.

My cop buddies showed me this and it is the only way I mount or dismount now.

Grumpy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dealership in Sumter Has Good Solution

Bike with side stand down
stand on low side of bike
butt alligned with fuel tank
face away from GW
right hand on left side of handle bars
kick right foot up (heel to butt)
send Right foot over drivers seat
The rest is self explanatory
Sounds Weird--------Works great!! :p[/b]

G

·
Re: Mounting the Bike

Grumpy said:
Try mounting the bike from the high side. It sounds harder but it is not, and it is safer. Mounting from the right side will prevent tip-over and on the side of the road it keeps the bike between you and traffic.
Are you standing on the right peg, with your right foot, before swinging your left leg over?

You are not afraid of rolling off the sidestand in the middle of the swing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts