GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a quote from Rider for ins...About 1/2 of what Progressive was going to charge me with
better coverage..Anyone have any problems with rider??

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Just got a quote from Rider for ins...About 1/2 of what Progressive was going to charge me with
My wife and I have had our motorcycles insured through Rider Insurance for years and have never had any problems with them. :yes1:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Progressive screwed me over on my car insurance and I promptly dropped them last year. Will be dropping Progressive on my Wing too in a few months and Rider is one quote I will be sure to get.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I had Rider in NJ for 3 years, but never needed to ask them to pay me money.

Most of my bikes are with Dairyland, again, haven't asked for any money back, so don't know how good the claims process is.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Coverage not available in very many states.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How much? We're all in suspense!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Coverage and price is different from staet to state. The best advice I have is to be aware of limits in uninsured motorist coverage. Progressive, Geico and other popular companies that cover my state, limit uninsured motorist to as little as $30,000. That's hardly enough to get you to the hospital!!!
Get the liability and comp coverage.... but protect yourself from the many idoits without insurance and get plenty of Uninsured motorist coverage also!
:eek:4:
Corventure Dave

·
Registered
584 Posts
I 100% agree. Under insured & uninsured coverage is very important! Most people skimp on this coverage, expecting the other guy to have proper limits.

Well in Arizona, the mandatory insurance liability is $30,000. That won't cover most injuries.

Under & uninsured coverage is basically coverage you purchase to cover your own injuries along with pain & suffering; in case the guy who hits you doesn't have insurance or does not have enough insurance.

I have the max for Az, $250,000, plus max liability $250,000 / $500,000 along with $100,000 per vehicle (plenty of $60,000 pick up trucks theses days) This coverage is for all my vehicles, including my MCs and ATVs.

But I'm insurance poor (as I have a lot of vehicles) but insurance is something you hope you don't need but are glad you have it when something bad happens (just like a pistol or a fire extinguisher).

It is also important to buy insurance with a quality company that has a good reputation of reasonable claims payouts without the hassles or increasing your rates. You want good value for your money and not just the cheapest insurance.

When you are buying insurance your are ols a lot of great things, which may or may not be true when you want to use your insurance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I just received a bill from Progressive on my two snowmobiles and it jumped again significantly (no accidents). I called a couple of local agents and saved over 50%! As soon as my motorcycles are due I am switching those also.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Been with Progressive on my bikes for 11 years. They have the lowest premiums I've found for the complete coverage with high limits/low deductibles I've had in Maryland on my various bikes (GL1800-year 5). I had to fight them on a minor "comp" claim, but won the argument in the end and am otherwise satisfied.

I contacted "Rider" Insurance a couple times a few years back, and they never even answered me back to quote me towards a switch. :shrug:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been with Progressive on my bikes for 11 years. They have the lowest premiums I've found for the complete coverage with high limits/low deductibles I've had in Maryland on my various bikes (GL1800-year 5). I had to fight them on a minor "comp" claim, but won the argument in the end and am otherwise satisfied.

I contacted "Rider" Insurance a couple times a few years back, and they never even answered me back to quote me towards a switch. :shrug:
they quoted me just over $300. for full coverage. including uninsured and underinsured..
Progressive was near $700.
thanks for the input...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have two snowmobiles. Progressive refuses to insure vehicles for 6 months, only annually. They wanted $482/yr and my new company wanted $171 for six months. That was a no brainer for me. As soon as my bikes and ATVcome up for renewal I'll switch them, too!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Something may be "up" with Progressive.. I dropped them last year after 6+ yrs, signed up with Geico on automobiles, Dairlyland with Goldwing

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you own guns, progressive funds anti gunner groups.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Coverage and price is different from staet to state. The best advice I have is to be aware of limits in uninsured motorist coverage. Progressive, Geico and other popular companies that cover my state, limit uninsured motorist to as little as $30,000. That's hardly enough to get you to the hospital!!!
Get the liability and comp coverage.... but protect yourself from the many idoits without insurance and get plenty of Uninsured motorist coverage also!
Corventure Dave
"protect yourself from the many idoits without insurance and get plenty of Uninsured motorist coverage also!"

That's really great advice .. take it from one who learned the hard way, I now carry more insurance than I'm worth.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Corventure Dave
"protect yourself from the many idoits without insurance and get plenty of Uninsured motorist coverage also!"

That's really great advice .. take it from one who learned the hard way, I now carry more insurance than I'm worth.
:agree: Yes! This is really sound advice. The best thing you can do is to get the maximum amount of uninsured/underinsured coverage that you can afford (or is allowed in your state). About 90% of riders and drivers only carry the minimum amounts required by law. In NJ, that means if both you and the person who hits you are each carrying the minimum amount of UM/UIM ($15,000), then the most you will be able to recover is $30,000. That amount will be used up VERY quickly in the emergency room and you will be personally responsible for the rest. Minimum coverage is not near enough and you are taking a VERY large gamble if that's all you have. If the accident is determined to be your fault, it is a pretty good bet that you will be sued by the other person's insurance company for a very large amount of money. If you have only $15,000 in coverage, guess where the rest will come from? Bye bye bank accounts, home equity, investments, etc. In addition to the maximum amount of UI/UIM coverage, it's not a bad idea to also have an "umbrella policy". A $1 million umbrella policy is not all that expensive. Especially when you consider the amount of potential losses if you are in a lawsuit. Don't take my word for it, talk to an accident attorney. Don't ask an insurance agent because it's in their company's best interest to sell minimum amounts of coverage. If you look at the premium rate structure you will see that the biggest premium step is for the lowest amount of coverage. The next step up in coverage costs surprisingly little. Do your homework and be an informed consumer.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
:agree: Yes! This is really sound advice. The best thing you can do is to get the maximum amount of uninsured/underinsured coverage that you can afford (or is allowed in your state). About 90% of riders and drivers only carry the minimum amounts required by law. In NJ, that means if both you and the person who hits you are each carrying the minimum amount of UM/UIM ($15,000), then the most you will be able to recover is $30,000. That amount will be used up VERY quickly in the emergency room and you will be personally responsible for the rest. Minimum coverage is not near enough and you are taking a VERY large gamble if that's all you have. If the accident is determined to be your fault, it is a pretty good bet that you will be sued by the other person's insurance company for a very large amount of money. If you have only $15,000 in coverage, guess where the rest will come from? Bye bye bank accounts, home equity, investments, etc. In addition to the maximum amount of UI/UIM coverage, it's not a bad idea to also have an "umbrella policy". A $1 million umbrella policy is not all that expensive. Especially when you consider the amount of potential losses if you are in a lawsuit. Don't take my word for it, talk to an accident attorney. Don't ask an insurance agent because it's in their company's best interest to sell minimum amounts of coverage. If you look at the premium rate structure you will see that the biggest premium step is for the lowest amount of coverage. The next step up in coverage costs surprisingly little. Do your homework and be an informed consumer.
:agree::agree:
I'm carrying 100k/300k underinsured or uninsured from Progressive for all of Jim's reasons. The premium for that is $58 if I pay up the policy in full (which I do).
Good deal, I think. Excellent service, too.

I'd consider calling Rider for a quote, but they don't write in NY. Dairyland priced themselves out of the race.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Can anyone comment on Rider Ins' response to processing a CLAIM, not just taking your payments and providing you an insurance card? I may get a quote next time I'm due to renew.

I do most of my financial stuff with USAA. They don't do m/c insurance but have a partnership with Progressive. I wound up going with Geico instead, they were cheaper than Progressive and adequate reports of claims satisfaction. I vaguely recall a lot of that was down to the way they handled the lower use winter period as a discount built into the policy rather than forcing you to suspend the policy which, here in MD, requires you to turn in your plates first or it's a ticketable offense. And since I ride year round unless the roads are icy, that was a big thing. Anyway, I don't have any claims with them but it has been pleasant enough not needing them to date.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts