GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing/reading somewhere that if you complete an ERC course that you were entitled to a 5% discount on your insurance policy. I completed the ERC 2 weeks ago, and I just got off the phone with my insurer (Rider in NJ) and they told me that they don't offer discounts for completing the course. What's up with that?

Anybody here ever get a discount for completing the course?

I was told at the ERC that they will give you a discount on your cage insurance too, because it's a "drivers safety course". Hmmmm... I'm calling Geico right now to see if they do. I'll report back.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Some do, some don't... The rider coach should not be telling students that they will be getting a discount.. In PA the rider education is provided free of charge by the state so Progressive and some others don't offer a discount.. They believe the discount is an offset to the cost of the rider's education..

If you're an HRCA member you can apply for the $75 reimbursment...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
They probably have seen you ride.

:wink:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
BikeLine gives me 10% discount.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Soloquest,

I called Progressive about the same issue. The guy said that they don't currently offer a discount for completion of any MSF courses - in MARYLAND. He did, however, say to make sure I hang onto my card - as they DO offer a discount (in Maryland) - from time to time... Apparently, the certification is good for two years (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

It appears that each state is different...

I also went out to the HRCA web site to find out how to apply for that $75 dollar discount. But couldn't find any links... So - I'm gonna have to look harder!

Ride safe, ride often!

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Margarita Will said:
I also went out to the HRCA web site to find out how to apply for that $75 dollar discount. But couldn't find any links... So - I'm gonna have to look harder!
Will, when you were mailed your membership package you should have received the paperwork for filing for reimbursement for the training. If you don't have your paperwork around you might want to give HRCA a call and talk to them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also use Rider Insurance and was told the same thing after completing the course. Being ticked off about it I shopped around and was not able to find any carrier that would have been cheaper even with the discount added in. I'm still using Rider.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Margarita Will said:
Not sure how to claim, but it's in the benefits preview under "Things You Can Do"
I believe Dorian is right, there was a claim form in the welcome package.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I also have Rider and have taken the ERC course twice in the last 2 years. No discount. If you join the HRCA for $39/year they will pay for the ERC course. I feel the the ERC in itself is worth the 10%. My riding has improved over the years and that is worth more than the savings. If you use what you have learned in the course, your riding abilities will improve. Take the course next year and you'll see the improvement.

Solo, were Dave Murray and Carl the instructors? Dave was Top Gun at Wing Ding more than once.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We are so lucky that a company like RIDER INSURANCE of NJ is offering such great insurance rates in a state of insane drivers . Just count your blessings that they exist and give us such good rates at all.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I found the same thing when I called and asked Rider about the discount, nada. However, I fished around this past summer to see what other insurance companies were charging and NOBODY could come close to their rates. In fact, I was shocked at some of the quotes I got, I had one lady tell me to stay w/Rider because they could never compete w/the rate i'm currently paying. :D And yes, for living in NJ dealing w/the drivers we have to deal with, I am surprised our rates aren't higher then what they are. Don't get me wrong, paying less would be great but I can't really complain about the rates, been using them since 94'. Brian

·
Registered
311 Posts
tequilaroy said:
They probably have seen you ride.

:wink:
COMPLETELY un-called for!!! Funny as all get out, but uncalled for !! :lol: :lol: Laffed my *** off !!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
NJ did pas a law that completion of an approved safety course qualifies one for a discount on the liability portion of your insurance, even on your auto policy. The ERC was on the list of qualified courses, and you may want to check with the state. To get the auto discount, I had to switch insurance companies.

Shop around.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am in Virginia and State Farm does not give a discount, at least to me. I checked with Progressive, Erie, and Geico, and they each wanted me to do all my insurance with them, vehicles, home, bike, etc, to get any discount. I said NOPE!

I thought the $75.00 HRCA rebate only applied to completion of the BRC. Am I mistaken?

I benefitted from it when I first joined in July last year. The local dealership where I bought my VTX 1300, at that time, paid the membership for me. I have since gotten the GW and also renewed.

Todd

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Here is a thought....How many of you have asked your insurance agent or company if the passenger is covered under your policy?

I know, here in Florida, that State Farm does NOT insure the passenger.

Better to ask now than wait and need coverage for the passenger. The laws in Florida are a lot different than elsewhere. Florida doesn't even require insurance on a motorcycle regardless of what size. Go Figure????

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have Dairyland........when I called Rider for a quote, they were $600 more...... and in Vermont they give a discount for the ERC......So does Dairyland......joy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts