GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 3-2-4, my closet friend and riding buddy of 15 yrs. passed away.He had mesothelioma cancer and had called me at 0700 in the Am about 24 months ago to tell me he was a dead man. Bruce lived what time he had right on the edge, never backing down untill the diease really racked him. He bought a Ducati Supersport this past fall to go along with his new BWM RT and KLR. I asked him why he bought a Ducatit facing what he was, with the time he had left and his answer was, "Every Biker should ride a Ducati Sport Bike before they die." He did ride it on at 2 short rides before winter set in. He never got to ride this year. We hammered many a twisty on sport bikes and sport tourers for years. Always it was me first cause I run a radar detector. I could like in the mirror and see his headlight right on my tail. It was like a ballet going thru the turns together. He is gone now, but not forgotten. I will be looking for him in my mirrors and know he will be still there.

Ride On Bruce, Godspeed :cry:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wish I had words to sooth. I'm very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Good friends like that don't come along every day.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Sorry for your loss topster. I know how you feel. I lost my Duck hunting partner of 20+ years last week................

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I know just how you feel Topster.

I do not want to take up a whole book to tell about the loss of my best friend, but it is similar to yours.

I am now 52 years old and have only been riding for 4 years all due to my best friend. The first bike I bought was a 1968 Dream. Tom and I worked on it for about one month before it was ridable. Then we both bought Helix's. Then about three months later Tom was diagnosed with Cancer and died less than four months later.

My first big trip was taken with his brother. I had purchased a 1982 Silverwing for that trip and I knew that Tom was with me on every curve to help me. ( Strange Huh?).

I have had several bikes in this short time but I still own the Dream. I think I would even sell the 1800 before I would part with the Dream.

I know you miss him and you will forever. I just always think about the good times we had and then I do occasionally wipe the tear out of my eye. :cry: :cry:

I have thanked the Good Lord for the time I was able to spend with Tom..

Hope this was not boring to anyone but I do feel better.....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry for your great loss. Im quite sure if he could tell us he would say 'Im not coming back.' Real good friends are hard to come by. Ride On.

:rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am saddened by your loss but hope that you pass on his passion for cycling to others.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jerry,

I'm very sorry for your loss. My words can't console you, but I feel for the passing of your best friend.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and yours.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, I too lost my best friend last year and I know what you are going through. Don't frown and be sad, smile, and remember all the good times. :flg: :angle1:

·
Registered
816 Posts
loss

It looks as though there are several of us who have lost good friends to cancer.

The memory of them lives on in each person that they touched. Live life to the fullest, you never know when it will be your turn.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Sorry for your loss of a good friend.

Cancer is a terrible thing.

I've lost several close friends to cancer

My wifes brother in law had cancer spots removed from a lung 4 months ago. Now he has suspected cancer spots on some other organs.

My 21 yr old niece just discovered some lumps in her breast & her left shoulder. The doc does not like the shape and size of them. More testing next week

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Toppy,

Your Loss, is a loss to the motorcycling community. There is no doubt, about your Buddies commitment to life and the sport of riding motorcycles.

Both Meesh and I offer our Prayers to his Family, Friends and to all whom he touched.

Gods Speed

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
325 Posts
Top..in my best terminology................hooah.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Top, sorry to hear that. I give my avid biker buddy a ride every time I ride and always mutter something like, hope you have a good time, enjoy the ride, buddy. she was a real friend and I will never stop giving her rides. Good luck. Joy

·
Registered
469 Posts

I feel you & yer loss. There's somethin about bein ah rider that regular folks don't understand. Ta be able to'ave shared it with yer close friend was ah blessin. Keep him with you in yer heart, his memory will continue ta in-rich yer rides & yer life. Life is short at best, let's ride 'em.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for the response. Sorry about venting, but had to do it. I loss many close friends in the Military in 64-66 and vowed never to have any "close" friends again. Those that served in that time frame know what I mean. Bruce was an exception I guess because he and I were so much alike and screwed up. Thanks again...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Rider passed

I'm sorry for your loss.... I also lost my mother to mesotheleoma, in 1978, she worked in the shipyards during the war. They used asbestos for insulation back then. At industrial levels, they say the time to start this deadly disease from asbestos exposure, was 4 hours...she worked there for 4 years.
This is the same thing that took Steve McQueen.

You are right, he'll still be with you & there will always be a smile on your face remembering the good rides you shared.

Mike Byerly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts