GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those who have come from harleys or the like with the forward foot position, how do you find the riding position of the goldwing compared to that. I am switching over .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a question for those who have come from harleys or the like with the forward foot position, how do you find the riding position of the goldwing compared to that. I am switching over .

The 18 GW is definitely not the same. I had some forward position Harley’s and they are fine but not good for any serious control. Also always preferred standard pegs, such as the GW as well as dual sport and adventure bikes because they give you much better control of bike and you can stand up on them if you like to get better view angle on going over a crest of hill, taking the hit out of a speed bump or just to stretch out a bit. To me ( IMHO) forward pegs are nice for cruising (legs stretched out) but suck for serious riding. You can add highway pegs for the stretching out on the GW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
You will notice your feet not being forward on the GoldWing. I personally do not find the foot placement on the GoldWing uncomfortable though. I have two Harleys, an Ultra Limited and Street Glide, along with a 2018 GoldWing.

I don't find any discomfort in the foot placement on the GoldWing. I would be a little surprised to hear if you found the foot placement a show-stopper for ya.

I had a BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive. Its foot placement was too far back for me. Maybe that was because I was used to the Harleys as opposed to a sport bike? The BMW was a nice bike. It just wasn't for me.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Foot placement

I've always liked the foot placement better on Harley's but have not been able to convince myself to buy one due to the required maintenance and louder pipes. I've owned Goldwing's and Valkyries over the last 30 years and like the driver footboards to get more options for putting my feet. Now that I'm over 60 one hip has started to bother me when riding with my knees at less than a 90 degree angle. Highway pegs help but when riding in the mountains they don't and after a long day of mountain riding my hips notice. Anyone else have this issue? May end up looking at the new Harley Milwaukee 8.
Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dan I've rode harleys for years last 3 were electra glides. This fall I went for a short ride on my 2014 Ultra Limited, I came down a small hill with a curve so I had shut the cruise off, got on the straight road, closed the throttle momentarily and was just about to hit the resume , set at 65 mph which is what I was going and it happened. The most severe head shake you can imagine. When I came too I was getting loaded in the ambulance. Lots of injuries extremely lucky to be alive. That bike was meticulously maintained I had ridden it 45000 miles in 3 years. My friend who is a very experienced rider and mechanic checked it over and there was nothing wrong with it. Long and short is I had heard of the DEATH SHAKE but always discounted it. UNTIL, it happened to me. Riding a harley would be like playing russian roulette to me. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
Goldwing next bike for me , hopefully I'll be healed up enough to ride by spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
I love the forward foot position of my cruiser while riding around locally, but no way on a road trip. I find being locked into the forward leg position that the cruiser offers gets uncomfortable on longer rides of more than 150 miles or so.
I much prefer the leg position of the Gold Wing with the addition of highway pegs such as the ****-O-Pegs that allow you to stretch your legs forward when desired and then being able to put your legs back to the foot pegs. With my 2003 and ****-O-Pegs, I was able to position my feet and legs in 4 different positions while on long interstate rides. I rode that machine on many 900 mile days in comfort.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Justbiken,

Glad to hear you made it though you accident. I've heard odd write ups about the DEATH SHAKE but really did not know what it is. Those types of rumors have also had an impact keeping me from buying a Harley. My neighbor has 2 - $40,000 Harley CVOs. His and his wife's. He bragged on the first one that when he retired from the Navy he rode it 25,000 miles the first year and said he had already made his $5000+ cost back from his lifetime extended warranty in the 1st year. I told him if a $40,000 vehicle needs $5000 of maintenance every 5000 miles it is not something I'd want to own. I've always treated by Goldwing's and Valkyrie's like my Honda Pilot. Change the oil and drove them hard. Almost never had an issue with any of them. Change the other fluids when needed but never pay a mechanic to tear apart one of my vehicles to see if there is anything wrong with it.
Dan

·
Registered
516 Posts
For me, I’ve been riding on something most of my adolescent to adult life, I rode Electric Glide Ultra’s for about 10 years, I probably put a total of 200K on them. With the HD I was very comfortable on straight stretches of highways and never had the issues with wobble
When I initially bought the GW for its long term reliability, I could not get comfortable with pegs underneath me, but with the added Ultimate seat with 2” set back, risers and mic o pegs, I’ve fallen in love with handling of the GW, and with the added options, on straight stretches of road, I’m able to stretch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
That "Death Wobble" of HD touring bikes would occur during high speed sweeping turns; much improved on the 2009 and later frames (I can still get it to happen on my 2011 at 85+) No idea what Justbiken experienced but not the same t
hing as the DW.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think mostly it's just what you get use to. Rode with ft pegs for years before buying a HD years ago. Like to have NEVER gotten use to floorboards & my feet being forward. Rode Harleys, Victories, Indians the last 23-24 years. Took about a week to 're-adjust' to the pegs & their placement. I still have a Harley. I live 1 mile to the main road outta our neighborhood. No matter which bike I'm on, by the time I get there either seems perfectly normal. Doubt you have a problem at all!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hey Dan I've rode harleys for years last 3 were electra glides. This fall I went for a short ride on my 2014 Ultra Limited, I came down a small hill with a curve so I had shut the cruise off, got on the straight road, closed the throttle momentarily and was just about to hit the resume , set at 65 mph which is what I was going and it happened. The most severe head shake you can imagine. When I came too I was getting loaded in the ambulance. Lots of injuries extremely lucky to be alive. That bike was meticulously maintained I had ridden it 45000 miles in 3 years. My friend who is a very experienced rider and mechanic checked it over and there was nothing wrong with it. Long and short is I had heard of the DEATH SHAKE but always discounted it. UNTIL, it happened to me. Riding a harley would be like playing russian roulette to me. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
Goldwing next bike for me , hopefully I'll be healed up enough to ride by spring.

WOW! I'm glad your still here and able to write about it. I had that shake one time on my 2012 Limited also but was able to get the bike back under control, if anyone had been aside of me in the other lane I would have driven into them at 70 MPH. Funny thing I was heading to NC to trade the Ultra in on a Wing.

I like the foot position very much on the 2018, I had a set of Kuryakyn foot peg mounts that lower & move you forward 3/4" that made it even better, not cramped at all on this ride.

Reactions: justbiken

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for all the replies , very much appreciated. Looks like it shouldn't be an issue switching to the gold wing pegs.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
LUCKING THEY DIDN'T GIVE YOU A TICKET FOR LITTERING !!:surprise::wink2: GLAD YOUR STILL AROUND ! CHIT HAPPENS QUICK .

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Its a better riding position than my 2005.:smile2:
I hardly use the hiway pegs at all.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks so much for all the replies , very much appreciated. Looks like it shouldn't be an issue switching to the gold wing pegs.
It depends on your height, leg length and fitness. I'm 32" leg and fit but the 1832 Wing can become uncomfortable for me after a long ride - many hours or all day - and I'm pleased to get off it for a leg stretch after 3 hours or so. The new wing is a little better with slightly less leg angle but it's not a huge difference. I'm not familiar with the Harley but my Triumph Rocket and Can-am Spyder with less than 90° leg angle and foot plates are hugely better than my Goldwing for long ride leg comfort. You're going to find it very different to the Harley, for sure.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rode Gold Wing 25 year bought 14 Limited the best thing about it to me was the forward position of the feet and the seat, sure it would depend on the rider.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
had 3 wings , victory, road master, 17 rgu and traded for a 2018 yamaha star venture. Best handling bike I have ever ridden. I like to stretch out. If the wing would let me do that I would have gotten one. Mic o pegs didnt flick my bic.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Everyone is a little different. I changed the saddle to a Laam custom seat, Heli risers, F4 windshield; fits perfectly. Leg position is great! My Vrod has forward controls, and the positioning rolls me back onto my tail bone. Horrible! My other Harley has footboards which is better, but this wing and my KTM sit about the same.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I rode older Harleys about 200,000 miles, maybe half a dozen of them, 1961 pan thru 1986 EVO. Harleys, and any other bike with handlebar mounted windshields, are far more susceptible to the death wobble, tank slapper, or whatever you want to call it. It is unpredictable, but more likely to occur in crosswinds. Harleys, and any other bike, with frame mounted fairing are pretty much immune to the phenomenon. The last Harley I had was a 1986 FXRT, with frame mounter fairing, and rode it just shy of 100,000 miles, never any wobble. I could tell you several stories of Harley riding friends though, who experienced the wobble. I experienced it once, shortly I put an aftermarket, handlebar mounted windshield on a Harley. I was able to slow down quickly enough for it to fade. Since around 1981, I have ridden only motorcycles with frame mounted fairings. You could not give me a motorcycle, of any brand, with a handlebar mounted fairing/windshield/batwing, etc..

Take the time to get used to the GW, install some highway pegs, modify the seat, or whatever is needed, to get comfortable. You will enjoy the GW, unless you get bored. They are kinda like a 2-whelled Buick, LOL

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
I'm really surprised to read that the late models Harleys will wobble at higher speeds. My last bike that wobbled was in 1983, back then most all the Japanese bikes would wobble at high speeds....especially if the tires were worn. That was one of the reasons I moved thru so many bikes back then because it scared the crap out of me and after it wobbled I lost my interest in that bike and wanted a new bike. My first motorcycle that wouldn't wobble at high speeds...even with worn tires...was the 1984 Kawasaki 900 Ninja. I havn't had a motorcycle that would wobble since 1984.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts