GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insurance company says I can get a 10% discount if I take one. Who offers them and what do they cost? I thought I heard once that there was help with cost. thanks Harry

·
Registered
5,695 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Who offers them and what do they cost?
If you're a member GWRRA, most Chapters offer a rider safety course free. Also worth would be to attend a First Aid course. If you need assistance with a GWRRA Chapter, please let me know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In FL, my understanding the local Harley dealers also provide the required course.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A lot of MSF schools also offer an ARC ( Advanced Rider Course ) and is a one day course on your bike, most but not all insurance companies give discounts for this course. The BRC course (basic rider course) for beginners only a few insurance companies will apply a discount but the BRC II, viscount a usually apply. Of course all this said, I am in New York.

I am not aware of any discounts in NY applied to any GWRRA classes, in NY, MSF is the certified "teaching" agency.

your results may vary and usually do from state to state......call your insurance agent before you take and pay for a class!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I took the GWRRA safety course several years ago up here in Canada , tailored for the wing in slow riding conditions I didnt know the wing could turn like that around those cone,you end up at the end a lot more confident .. Cost was $40.00 for GWRRA members and several hundred or more for non members I was told

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here is something that I have recently discovered, for me at least.

We have Progressive insurance for the bike and when I called them this year to double check our coverages the question came up about rider safety courses and any applicable discounts. Well the rep on the other end said that they have already discounted us and credited us for safety classes even though I have not taken any.

Also she asked if I had a motorcycle endorsement. I said that I have had a motorcyle license for the past 44 years. She then offered an additional $40 off our policy.

To say the least I was surprised thinking that all bike riders had to have a bike endorsement to legally ride and get insurance for the street.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If your only real goal is to get the discount, check and see if either of the MSF classes will qualify. If you want the best safety course, that is, a class that really focuses on rider safety as opposed to performance and technical skills, etc., check out this company: http://www.stayinsafe.com. I've written about them before; you can do search or PM me if you want more details. I will say this: I've taken some sort of class each year since I started riding (2006), and nothing compares to their classes for teaching how to minimize the risks out there, nothing! I know I'm still a novice compared to many on this forum, especially in terms of years riding, but I have accumulated about 90,000 miles, including one cross-country trip, and several trips of 2500 miles or more. I guess starting at my age - I was 59 when I started - safety is a big deal. I may even have an exaggerated sense of my vulnerability, but I can live with that! Their classes are not cheap. They are mostly multi-day, and include meals and lodging.

Also, I want to be clear, I am definitely not saying that improving your technical skills does not improve your safety - of course it does. All I am saying is I haven't found any course that focuses almost 100% on safety, with just enough skills work to make the class complete.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Harry, what is it that you wish to gain out of the class? Not all rider improvement classes are the same and they usually focus on different aspects of riding. For instance, the "Ride Like A Pro" class, (which is excellent) focuses more on the technical aspects of riding and will definitely improve one's technical riding abilities. But, they do not go into and safety or accident avoidance. They assume that you are already a proficient rider. Some courses are geared toward someone who hasn't ridden in a long time and wants to just "brush up" on their riding skill. Some courses are for the new or novice rider and some are for the advanced rider.

So if we knew what you want to gain from taking a rider improvement class we can make better suggestions. In my opinion, the MSF offers the best all-around classes. The class room portion of the course teaches risk assessment and accident avoidance and the practical riding part, which is taught on the range, teaches the technical aspects of how to put it into practice in real life. Also, not all classes are accepted by insurance companies as qualifying for a discount on your premiums.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wingleader, I don't know exactly what the insurance company said would qualify for discount. Will contact them and ask exactly what they want. I have ridden for last 11 years and probably 5 years more back in the 70's. Now we ride a trike, for last 10 years with about 70,000 miles experience on trikes. Have never taken any courses, but am sure one would be beneficial. Just want to take what would qualify for discount and help riding skills. Harry

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I took the course last year ( I actually "thought" that after riding 47 years) NO ONE could teach me anything I didn't all ready know)
WOW! WAS I WRONG! repeat! WOW WAS I WRONG! I rode out of that course 100% more smarter then ever!! I had a ball learning...

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Wingleader, I don't know exactly what the insurance company said would qualify for discount. Will contact them and ask exactly what they want. I have ridden for last 11 years and probably 5 years more back in the 70's. Now we ride a trike, for last 10 years with about 70,000 miles experience on trikes. Have never taken any courses, but am sure one would be beneficial. Just want to take what would qualify for discount and help riding skills. Harry
Harry, I'm pretty sure the MSF now has a Trike Course. I know for a fact that they do here in New Jersey. You might contact them in IA and see if they have one there.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I did not get a discount on my insurance. In PA, MSF courses are free and the insurance company position is that the discount was to help off set the cost of the course. No cost=no discount. The education is far more valuable than the discount!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I took the MSF advanced rider course about 2 years ago. It didn't teach me anything I didn't already know, but it did give me a chance to polish some skills I don't use everyday. Overall, it was worth it. I did receive 10% off my insurance (liability only), so that amounted to about $15.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts