GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a backrest for my GL 1800 can anybody recommend one that is absolutely comfortable and easy to install. I'd prefer not to have to cut the seat. I'm also looking for highway boards that will adjust comfortably to short legs. Thought I'd check to see if anybody has any recommendations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Backrest

I originally had the Khromewerks backrest, and I liked it very much. My wife complained of hitting her legs on the bars on the side, so I sold it and purchased the Utopia. I like the Utopia, but I would have kept the other backrest if not for SO's complaint.

:yw1:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Utopia seems to be the overwhelming choice, for members of this board. A few like the Khromeworks, but I have no opinion on them.

Several Threads on the Tech board about this!

Welcome to the board.

Bulldog

G

·
I have one from Big Bike Parts made by Hoppnel that I have had on my 04 for 2 mos. Now I'm getting a custom seat and don't need it and would like to sell. Contact me if interested.
Bill [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Backrest & footpegs

You can try different approaches for the backrest but a custom seat or the Utopia will be your final choice. Jim **** at ****-O-Pegs will work with you and solve your problem for the pegs. Not enough can be said about the integrety and sevice provided by Diamond seats or Jim ****.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Backrest

I have a Markland that mount under the rear hand rails, that we love. On the other bike we had the rest that comes up though the seat but with the new bike, like you, we did not want to cut the seat.
I enjoy the ability to adjustg the seat while riding. All I have to do is reach down and losen the two compression nuts on each side and either I or the "Boss" can move the rest back or forward. Great for long trips when I want to change the way I set a little.
The "Boss" says she has never had a problem with the rails being in the way.
If possible I would sit on different bikes with different rest and use that to help you pick the one you want.

Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was also concerned about cutting a hole in my seat but I followed the instructions provided with the Utopia back rest and everything worked out great. It's very comfortable and does not get in the way of the co-rider. The only problem so far is that it's caused me to mount and dismount somewhat differently but that's going to be the case for any backrest. Like other users, I highly recommend the Utopia.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was also concerned about cutting a hole in my seat but I followed the instructions provided with the Utopia back rest and everything worked out great. It's very comfortable and does not get in the way of the co-rider. The only problem so far is that it's caused me to mount and dismount somewhat differently but that's going to be the case for any backrest. Like other users, I highly recommend the Utopia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts