GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a strange question but I am going to ask it anyway

My wife and I just completed a 2,500 trip. One of the issues on the trip was my wife developed a rash on her leg which she found irritating and took away some fun of the ride. The rash occurred where her legs come in contact with the seat.

The seat is a leather RDL seat. She believes the rash might be related to "lycra" in her clothing.

My question, has anyone else has experienced something like this and what things did you try to minimize this occurrence?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Anti Monkey Butt Powder. Not kidding. It’s made for males or females. The yellow jar for men, pink for the ladies. Been using it for years. Keeps your stuff try. I get it from amazon. Don’t know if this will help your wife but it can’t hurt.:thumbup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree with other commenters. The wife may have been perspiring too much and depending on the fabric and detergent got a rash.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The issue is moisture being held against the skin. There are a lot of ointments and powders to help with the moisture, but I've found removing it is the quickest and easiest method.

Get a wooden bead seat for her to sit on, it provides critical ventilation.

Then, get her a pair of wicking undergarments, either Under Armour or LD Comfort or my personal favorite, Duluth Trading. They will allow sweat to wick away from the skin quickly so it can't build up, saturate the skin, and cause chafing to begin with.

If chafing sets in, the aforementioned powders or Chamois Butt'r will help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Remember- leather and vinyl do not breathe so you have to ventilate some how. Each of the above posts are spot on. Wicking garments, powder, beads or sheepskin and check the laundry soap too.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Since I broke down and spent the money on LD Comfort riding shorts, my rides have all been better. Now, if riding more than just to work or errands around town, I wear the LD Comfort.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I see Anti Monkey Butt powder at the Rural King stores. I don't know if there are any of thise around you but you can try a farm supply store. I've seen it in bike shops too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
+1 for Anti Monkey Butt. I used this on my 5,000 mile trip last August to California and back, with 116 degree heat in Phoenix and Las Vegas. No chaffing at all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wash your riding gear in laundry detergent for sensitive skin. While your regular brand may not bother you during normal day-to-day wear, sweat, heat, and poor air circulation between you and the seat will likely cause some irritation.

In addition, YES on Anti Monkey Butt powder. Nothing works as well (and I am a Gold Bond fan).

I have not tried the wooden beads, but that would support airflow. I just have a hard time envisioning that sitting on wooden beads would be comfortable. I will likely get some for the next long trip. If I do not like them, they will become a nice bed of coals for the nightly campfire. I've wasted much more money on less potentially useful things. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. I passed the information on to my wife. We are looking at the air beads (general description of product) and the powder.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Word of caution about powders

Anti Monkey Butt Powder. Not kidding. It’s made for males or females. The yellow jar for men, pink for the ladies. Been using it for years. Keeps your stuff try. I get it from amazon. Don’t know if this will help your wife but it can’t hurt.:thumbup:
No doubt powders are silky feeling and soothing, I've used them on occasion. My pharmaceutics professor years ago was an expert on powders (look up "angle of repose") and had some opinions on the subject. The observation most salient to this discussion was the difference between the two primary ingredients in most powders, Talc and Cornstarch. They both will turn into a paste when enough moisture is incorporated but Cornstarch, unlike Talc will support the growth of fermenting microbes. So, if you already have a rash starting to flare up this certainly is not going to help. I'd use either type of product but would be especially mindful when your BVDs start smelling like bread. :surprise:

My 2 cents

NCBirdMan
Keith

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wear black leathers and don’t have an issue. I also wear a moisture wicking layer under the leathers and use some gold bond if the temps are high.

I hear the ceramic beads are hotter than hades if left uncovered in the sun and they're slow to cool once removed from direct sunlight.
My seat mat is made with black ceramic beads and they are not that bad. They can get warm/hot if left sitting in the sun but I have never sat on them and thought it felt too hot and within a minute, I do not even notice them and my average summer temps where I live are 100 degrees.

I have not tried the wooden beads, but that would support airflow. I just have a hard time envisioning that sitting on wooden beads would be comfortable.
They are surprisingly comfortable (my opinion) and while the first time you use them they feel a bit different, you won’t even notice them after a bit. You will notice the airflow on your backside and it’s nice to ride in hot weather for a few hours and have dry pants when you stop.

·
Registered
409 Posts
When my wife and I first experimented with seat beads we weren't impressed. So we stopped and took them off to see if there was any difference. In about 5-10 minutes we both couldn't wait to put them back on. It was a summer day in Florida. An added benefit is that when it's raining you aren't sitting in a pool of water.

They are kind of like helmet vents. You wonder if they are doing anything until you have them open on a cold day. Then you realize there is a lot of air flowing through.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I’ve not used powders (not a fan of chemicals), but do invest in moisture wicking undergarments and light colored/loose/mesh outerwear. I have a sheepskin from Areostich that works wonders too. I support the above about laundry soap choice too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Proper underwear is the secret. No seams or ribs to chafe sensitive skin.:smile2:
Duluth Trading has a new men's boxer briefs called Hang Gliders. The fabric is soft, stretchy and wicking. It also has the least seams of any briefs I have seen. There is no seam at all in the seat of the brief. These along with a mesh two piece riding suit coupled with the wood seat beads worked very well on a 3k mile trip to Wisconsin two weeks ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I deal with this similar issue. Im a big guy so that doesnt help the matter. I found a product called Fresh Balls. They make Fresh feet and Fresh Boobs for the ladies.
The FB goes on as a past and drys to a powder. That goes in areas that sweat a lot.

Theres another product cyclists use called Chamois Buttr. I found this works great in areas that tend to chaff from rubbing.

Moisture wicking under gear helps too.

Your mileage may vary and once you find your combo you'll be mostly chaff and moisture free. Granted riding in heat for expended periods of time is just gonna wreak havoc on your body so reapplications are part of the ride. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts